Violent shake cruising in highway

Georgie

Reaction score
City, State
montreal canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL
hi everyone,

i was driving on the highway yesterday at about 80kms/h.
i hit a bump and suddenly my sterring wheel was going left to right violently. i was able to control the car, but it was shaking like crazy.....came to a stop, got out looked around, popped the hood and checked things out...i didnt find anything so i continued driving and everything was fine.

Any ideas what this could be?

i recently(befor the violent shaking) went over a pretty big snow/ice bank(about a foot high) pretty fast and i believe both wheels came off the ground. would that have anything to dowith it?

also i recently installed new shockes, driver side wheel bearing,upper control arm and tie rod end.

anyways let me know what yall think...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After your front end work, you never bleed the power steering system. Air is what caused the shake. The power steering systems in our trucks, if moved while the engine is off, will get air pockets in it. To get them out, you need to turn the steering wheel lock to lock (L to R) two or three times while the engine is running.

I always wondered why FORD didn't put this info in their service manual or even in the owners manual. It's caught many people by surprise and can be down right dangerous.

okay, but ive been driving the car for about 3000kms since the work i did....wouldnt this have happend earlier if it was the case?

i had a high speed wobble and i believe its do to a bent rim after a large "bump" ordering new rims will post results later

hi everyone,

i was driving on the highway yesterday at about 80kms/h.
i hit a bump and suddenly my sterring wheel was going left to right violently. i was able to control the car, but it was shaking like crazy.....came to a stop, got out looked around, popped the hood and checked things out...i didnt find anything so i continued driving and everything was fine.

Any ideas what this could be?

i recently(befor the violent shaking) went over a pretty big snow/ice bank(about a foot high) pretty fast and i believe both wheels came off the ground. would that have anything to dowith it?

also i recently installed new shockes, driver side wheel bearing,upper control arm and tie rod end.

anyways let me know what yall think...
Have the caster checked. Something could have bent in the front end, causing the caster to go negative. That will cause the shake.

ok, do you have a link to describe how to check the camber? Also, is it possible that the shaking was caused my wheels being full of snow??

thanks!

ok, do you have a link to describe how to check the camber? Also, is it possible that the shaking was caused my wheels being full of snow??

thanks!
CASTER not camber. And yes snow in the wheels would cause bad shaking, but I would have thought you would have checked that first.

Back