• Register Today It's free!

Violent shaking when accelerating

ottobot

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
my 97 explorer shakes violently when i accelerate from a stop

I bought it about a year ago for $1000 and had been running perfectly until about a month ago. It started with a little shake when i get to about 5 mph. Now it trembles violently. It only does it when i accelerate from a dead stop. and it stops once i get it past 5 mph and runs fine until i have to stop.

it gets really bad especially in bumper to bumper stop and start rush hour traffic. sometimes it feels like the whole thing is gonna fall apart on me.

took it to a shop and they told me it would be several hundred dollars to fix the transmission but i think it might be something else. i really want to make sure before i have to stop eating to save the money for a transmission fix.

also about a week ago i started losing coolant but i have no idea where it is going as i do not see any leaks of any kind.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what engine do you have?

Uh Oh...

I've had something similar in other rigs....never in an Ex fortunately.

Check your oil....see if it's milky. If so, you might have a cracked head/block or a blown head gasket. Hard telling without being there, but it sounds a lot like what happened to me once.

Sounds like bad U-Joints on the drive shaft.
But that doesn't explain the coolant loss.

Sounds like bad U-Joints on the drive shaft.
But that doesn't explain the coolant loss.

how do check for bad U-joints ?

if they are bad how hard would it be to change them myself? and how much would new ones cost ?

To check U joints, crawl under the vehicle and shake/twist your driveshaft(s) and look for play/clicking/rubbing. The U joints are on both ends of the shafts. They are relatively cheap for parts. You need a press though to make easy work of this.

As far as your vibration, I've seen some posts on here referencing the clutch packs in the rear end. Do a search on "clutch pack" and you will see some posts which may be in line with your problem.

How much coolant are you losing? Check the sides of your engine block for white/greenish residue, same on the radiator, hoses, etc. Check your oil and see if it is milky looking.

I would replace the U-joints on the rear driveshaft. You have 2 U-joints on the rear driveshaft, and one on the front driveshaft at the differential end of it. The transfercase end of the front shaft is more like a cv joint.

X2 what Kevin Barry said about checking your oil for a milky appearance, and X2 what he said about where to look except to add along the firewall under the heater box on the passenger side and around the waterpump and thermostat housings. If its on the firewall on passenger side, your heater core is gone. This isn't likely as you did not mention smelling a sweet smell in the truck or that the windows steam up when the heat is on.

The noise you describe could be the clutch packs, but first, open the drivers door and look at the door sticker, look under the heading for axle. Theres a 2 letter code there. If It starts with a "D" you have a limited slip differential and may have that problem, however if the code is 2 numbers you have an open diff and the noise is coming from elsewhere.

POS Mounty - Thanks for adding the additional where to looks. I was thinking fast and of the typical places. Good point on the heater core and water pump. By the way, Hi Neighbor... see we are both in NH and both have Mounty's.

Hey, its rare to see someone on here from New Hampshire and I think you are the closest to me I have seen yet. I'm in Hampton. Nice to meet you

Don't see too many of us Granite Stater's on here, I agree, but tons of old X's on the road around here. Strange we're only two towns apart too.

I drove my sisters Toyota last month and it acted the exact same as your describing. My first thought was the transmission.

Then a second thought occurred - motor mounts.

Turned out to be the motor mounts were busted.

Wouldn't hurt to get it checked. :)

Hope you find the problem!

my 97 explorer shakes violently when i accelerate from a stop

I bought it about a year ago for $1000 and had been running perfectly until about a month ago. It started with a little shake when i get to about 5 mph. Now it trembles violently. It only does it when i accelerate from a dead stop. and it stops once i get it past 5 mph and runs fine until i have to stop.

it gets really bad especially in bumper to bumper stop and start rush hour traffic. sometimes it feels like the whole thing is gonna fall apart on me.

took it to a shop and they told me it would be several hundred dollars to fix the transmission but i think it might be something else. i really want to make sure before i have to stop eating to save the money for a transmission fix.

also about a week ago i started losing coolant but i have no idea where it is going as i do not see any leaks of any kind.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Now with the coolant leak I have found on the 4.0 SHOC that the thermostat housing is plastic. On mine I had to replace it. It would leak on to the top of the engine and wouldn't show any sign it was leaking underneath the truck, no puddles or anything. I found it by chance one day and replaced it. Found the part on Rock Auto.com Make sure you pick the right one. there is two they look close until you get them in hand and see they are different. Make sure the part your get doesn't leak as well. I got mine and it leaked. instead of sending it back I use plastic weld and sealed it. It has been working fine since no leaks. Also make sure the sensor have silicon or Teflon tape on the threads it will leak if you don't. I hope you have fixed it already if not here is how I did it.

beginning to tremble

I have a 95 explorer, When I am accelerating the car begins to tremble just a bit. It does not feel like a loose part but more like a the gas is not flowing smooth.....I wonder if it could be an old catalytic converter. The car has 180,000 mile and the converter is original.

Any help?

revodell

Could be out of balance tires as well. It's cheap to get the balanced and couldn't hurt. If you still think is a fuel issue change your fuel filter and get a fuel pressure tester. Someone who remembers better correct me if I am wrong. I believe it needs to be above 62psi at idol. That is if my memory serves me correctly.

Wray,

I will change the fuel filter today and I will let you know if that is it but I am still curious about the catalytic converter. If it passes emissions does it mean it is good?

Wray,

Also, When i start up in the morning I need to pump the gas 3 times and it fires right up. If I don't pump the gas then it doesn't start up for a while. Does that mean the fuel pump is beginning the end?

let me know about the fuel filter.... and if you pass emissions i dont see a need to change the converters. I dont see how pumping the pedal will help..... thats the point of having a fuel pump because it pressurizes the system for start up.

I would throw a fuel pressure tester on there for sure.

I could see a fuel pump starting to malfunction after 180k worth of use. We wont know for sure till we get some pressure numbers. 50bux at autozone will get you a cheap one but it will do the job. You might be able to rent one.

Also check for spark issues...i had no check engine light and i had a bad coil pack...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fuel pump made a definite improvement.

What about the converter?....does it just go bad all at once or is it gradual?
What about the coil pack. What are the symptoms of that going bad?
The plugs and wires are less than 30,000 miles old

Back