visually inspect heater core in place? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

visually inspect heater core in place?

wesalexleft

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer V8 4.6L
I have a 2003 Mounty 4.6L and I "think" the heater core has a pinhole leak. I've added dye to the coolant and no leaks visible anywhere else. I want to explore every test before tearing out the dash of the truck to repair. Every search I do to "inspect" the heater core says to remove it and then test it. The problem is, by the time I've "removed" the core, a new one would be going in regardless due to the labor involved. I was wondering if I pulled the center bezel, and used an inspection camera, etc, would it be possible to visually inspect the core for traces of dye from the leak? I just want to know 100% that the core is leaking before I tear into the dash. There's a faint smell in the cabin, but no real fogging of windows or steam from vents. I think it's a very small, but continual leak...

If anyone knows of a way to "see" the core without removing too much, please let me know.

thanks,

any thoughts on this post? I have a slow coolant leak that seems to be worse if the heat is used, and I've noticed a slight bubbling noise from the dash after turning off the car occasionally... but it sounds like a beast to replace. No coolant smell inside the truck or wet carpets or anything, so hard to tell if it is for sure the heater core, but no signs of leakage in the engine bay and the bubbling noise made me nervous....

I have a 2003 Mounty 4.6L and I "think" the heater core has a pinhole leak. I've added dye to the coolant and no leaks visible anywhere else. I want to explore every test before tearing out the dash of the truck to repair. Every search I do to "inspect" the heater core says to remove it and then test it. The problem is, by the time I've "removed" the core, a new one would be going in regardless due to the labor involved. I was wondering if I pulled the center bezel, and used an inspection camera, etc, would it be possible to visually inspect the core for traces of dye from the leak? I just want to know 100% that the core is leaking before I tear into the dash. There's a faint smell in the cabin, but no real fogging of windows or steam from vents. I think it's a very small, but continual leak...

If anyone knows of a way to "see" the core without removing too much, please let me know.

thanks,

I would think you would have some evidence of the leak inside the cabin if it's leaking. If you are loosing coolant and are sure you can smell coolant inside, then that sounds like pretty good confirmation. If it is a pinhole, it will get worse, so more certain confirmation will come soon enough.

Back