Is my heater core in here?

englishowner

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hi Guys
Worked out with help from the forum that I needed a new heater core.
Removed the center console and started the dash removal when I came to remove the glove box. Behind which I noticed a large black plastic box.
The question is............is my heater core in here and can I change it without continuing to remove the dash?

What do you think?

Yes it's in the box, I do think you have to remove the dash, and you also have to unbolt the plenum from under the hood.

^^ correct.

Don't forget the bolt way down toward the bell housing area. Also, on mine, the plennum was double nutted, and that was kind of tricky. You will see what I mean when you get in there--

It's away.........

......from the firewall, well the passenger side is anyway (left side over here remember) and I am now looking at the engine bay and wondering how the heck I can do anything. I have taken the two screws out of the box at the top of the dash but I can't work out how to remove the metal cover in the engine bay. There are no fasteners other than the two rivets on the top. I don't haeto drill them out do I?
Also I can't work out how to remove the other stuff in the way (looking into the engine bay it is all on the right. There are no visible bolts to remove! I can just see the top of the two hoses that go to the heater core but I can only locate one nut to remove inside at the bottom of the black box and I can get two two of the screws to remove the heater core cover but not all of them unless I get the box out.
As you can tell I don't know the correct terminology but I have got this far and I aint givin up now!

any ideas guys?

Back