Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Monsterneer
Callsign
KI6MCO
P0500 vehicle speed sensor

So I recently replaced my 4406 transfer case with another 4406. Shortly after the replacement (say 1000 miles) my speedometer and cruise control stopped working. I figured that the VSS in the tail housing of the 4406 went out. Because my Mountaineer is a 1997 my VSS is in the tail housing of the transfer case, not in the rear differential, just like the original transfer case for this year. I do have a sensor in the rear diff but it is strictly for the rear anti-lock brakes. The ABS light is not on. A few days, maybe as long as 2 weeks later I got a check engine light, I figured I knew it was going to be something to do with the VSS. It did surprise me that the check engine light didn’t come on for days though. So after several weeks of using my Ultra Gauge for a speedometer (it uses the output shaft speed sensor in the transmission) I decided it was time to replace the VSS. I took the spare I have from my old transfer case and installed it. WTF! It didn’t work! I just ran the code reader to read my trouble code, big surprise P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor.

So I am thinking I probably routed a cable somewhere and it chaffed thru or shorted. That will likely be one of the first areas I will look at.

What I am looking for is any advice, procedures, schematics or explanations of the routing of the connections between the VSS and the ECU. Any electrical tests I can do to make sure the VSS is working (put power here, hook oscilloscope up here and rotate). Check to make sure power is where it is supposed to be at the VSS connector. Stuff like that.

Thanks,

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for you reply. Yes the gear is in the case. I initially installed the VSS and gear from the prior 4406 I had in there in to this new 4406 and it worked for about 1000 miles. These were both 1997 F150 4406 t-cases. When I replaced the VSS recently I inspected the gear to make sure it didn't look like it had worn the teeth off the gear. It looked new, just like it did when I installed it about 4000 miles ago to correct my spedo reading.

I am going to be crawling around under there later today. I'll poke around and see if I can find any chaffed wires.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Dan

Can anyone point me to where I can get a schematic showing the wire routing/colors from the Transmission Speed Sensor (appearantly that is the official name for this sensor) to wherever is goes to?

Today I ohmed out from the connector that plugs in to the Transmission Speed Sensor to the massive connector right next to the transmission shift mechnisim. Now I need to gen an idea of where these conductors end up at so that I can verify that there is no opens/shorts in the lines.

Then it would be nice to get my hands on a proceedure to test the sensor itself.

Great source for wiring schematics. Will give you wire colors and connectivity, but unfortunately does not show physical wire routing. Good luck.

Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login ID: rrcc
Login PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Great source for wiring schematics. Will give you wire colors and connectivity, but unfortunately does not show physical wire routing. Good luck.

Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login ID: rrcc
Login PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

THANKS! That is what I was looking for. I found the correct schematic and can now trace that down and see if there is a problem in the wiring.

Well its California smog time and they will not pass it with the P0500 code triggering the CEL. So I tore in to this thing trying to find the problem with the speedometer. After tearing thru everything and attempting to see the AC signal along the line I found that there is no signal coming from the VSS in the tailhousing of the 4406 transfer case. Long story short the 8 tooth drive gear inside of the tailhousing has moved towards the rear of the housing so it is not engauging the driven gear on the VSS. Not a problem, I have an extra gear from my exploded 4406, but it got me looking a bit more in to finding a 7 tooth drive gear. I think I may have found a solution there. Stay tuned for details!: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369340&highlight=4406+gear

Back