• Register Today It's free!

WANTED - Custom Subbox

tuffenuf83

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I want to put a custom sub box in my explorer. Dont know if it will rattle with all the plastic in it. Please take a look at the following site, and let me k now what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50565&item=5763514525&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks

The term "custom" is thrown around awfully liberaly lately. That box is manufactured in bulk making it far from custom. However to answer your question they dont rattle. TONS of people on here have that verry box. The sub in it kinda sucks though

I had one, and didn't like it much. It is a big improvement over stock, but not the amount of base I was looking for. Like TheRookie said, the sub it comes with does suck. I sold mine to a member on here named dirty Dog, he really likes it, look for his profile, and see what sub and amp he is running in it.

those things don't look like they have much air space to work with...

I was lookin into one of those and decided to screw it. I'm just gonna try to air tight the area back there as best I can and build a board to fit the cargo hole and mount a 10" kappa perfect to it. As long as i can airtight it a decent amount my custom box is one flat board (easy as hell). I don't know when I'll be able wire the amp and everything yet but I'm sure I'll be puttin a thread in if it sounds good.

ummm...will that work??

I'll let everyone know how it sounds when i get it hooked up. It should work if the area behind gets sealed decently. I've seen it done on Jeep Cherokees *shrug*. I'll get some pictures of what I'm planning to do since I'm takin pictures of the rear speakers for someone else tonight anyway.

Pics of my concept sub mount. (scroll down, its after the grill removal)

Basically the first shot shows the sub, hole, and board to fit the area. The second is basically showing stuffing with foam of some kind (obviously I'm gonna do a hella better job when its all mounted, I just threw it in to give you the idea). The third basically shows how it will look when its done. I will be using some type of clips to hold the board in place and enough of them should support it alright. When I hold it in I dont see any stress on the panel from the weight so so far so good. Turns out I got a hold of an amp for it and I have all the wiring from my previous car so I should be getting it in within the next week hopefully so expect an update with how it all comes together.

Hey, its looking pretty good so far. I wouldn't mind, if it turns out to be good and working. If I could buy the mold from you, (to hold the sub) with all the hooks installed. Let me know what you think, cause then I will buy a sub and throw it in there. How big of a sub can you go?? 10" max???

You can see the outline of the sub drawn on the board. Its gonna fit the 10, but anything bigger would go over that edge. The depth of doing it this way is much better. The kappa perfect I'm puttin in is at least 5.5 or 6 inches deep i think, and theres extra space behind it from what I can tell. I got most of the wires run today, its just down to the power cable, remote, clips for that board, and plugging it all in. (Oh, im probably going to carpet the board to and put a grill over the sub). Hopefully it will be all done by the end of the week, but no promises.

Ok wires were all run today and everything is hooked up and working. Just have to mount the brackets on the board and put it in its spot. I'm hoping to get to that tomorrow (weather and woman permitting). I'll post back when its all done with pictures and my opinion on how it sounds.

Hey sounds good. Make sure you throw some pics on there. I was also thinking, if the sub didnt dound loud enough, that maybe I will try to put in the sub where you put it, and I will also try to find another place on the opposite side! I will need to find another place for the jack and iron.

Let me know

Well, it's finally in. Sounds great too might I add. Had a little issue with the panel vibrating against the push clips that hold it in but i just cut some small foam to fit just behind the head of the clips that quieted them right up. You can also see the next project I have to work on which is hiding the amp in the other sides compartment. (Oh, I'm probably going to end up wrapping that board with the thinest cloth I can find to make it look just a bit better. Right now its just painted so if I get a thin material you can see through you wont see a brown board. It works for now though.) I still gotta get some pictures of the clips I used, I'll throw those on my cardomain page in the sub concept section when I get a chance so check back if you want to see what I used.

PICS

Back