Warning about a brake problem on our trucks! READ THIS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warning about a brake problem on our trucks! READ THIS

Good question, wish I had an answer. In my experience, Fords seem to eat brake rotors for some reason. My fronts are already warped, and the brakes were done less than 15K ago. They have also started making more noises this week. I think I'll be checking calipers in the morning! :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

kfkodiak said:
Good question, wish I had an answer. In my experience, Fords seem to eat brake rotors for some reason. My fronts are already warped, and the brakes were done less than 15K ago. They have also started making more noises this week. I think I'll be checking calipers in the morning! :rolleyes:

its like the luck of the draw, i didn't have to much troble with mine(nock on wood)i had 90k on my old front rotors before i replaced them but they looked like he!!...my back rotors are looking good, i watch them bults like crazy.

my old rotors...talk about bad...
468326_15_full.jpg

468326_14_full.jpg

Just wanted to bump this thread again. One of my caliper bolts came loose YET AGAIN, even with Loctite on them. Symptons of a loose caliper bracket are clunking when braking and going over a bump. If you begin to hear noise in your front end, check these bolts first.

Its good to check these bolts every once in a while. Good to get it bumped.

I've had it happen twice. Once was on a trip back to Atlanta from Dallas, TX. Pulled into the neighborhood and the caliper fell into the wheel. I had to drive it through the neighborhood in reverse to get it to the house so the rim and caliper wouldn't lock up. Now I keep an extra set of these bolt in the truck just because I know it will happen again.

I just had to re-tighten the drivers side one the other day again too.

I swear I'm 1/2 tempted to put a little tach weld on the damn things.

Maybe some of you guys are torquing them too low? I just checked my factory service manual and it says these bolts should be torqued to 135-180 ft/lbs.

I just put new front rotors on my X about 3 weeks ago, torqued to 150 ft/lbs and used blue locktite and they haven't budged.

I had a loose caliper braket as well.

I also had my front driveshaft seperate from the t-case when the bolts came loose. THAT made one heck of an aweful wracket, Scourmunch can tell you, he was in the truck at the time.

I am a big fan of blue locktite, I keep a small tube in my truck's toobox.

Add another to the list – 1 bolt fell out and the other was a couple of turns from falling out – also, lost one of the smaller bolts that hold the caliber on – assembly fell down and put a nice scratch on the inside of the wheel – fortunately I was going slow at the time and was traveling on a side street – it made one hell of a racket with the ABS trying to compensate!!! Is Ford aware of this problem???

Some of you talk about keeping spare bolts in your truck in case you need them. I'm just curious, what size and type of bolts are these that you are talking about?

Now, you guys have me all worried about these bolts. I checked mine last night, no problems. But, my Haynes manual says the front caliper bolt should be torqued to 25 ft/lbs and the rear to 20 ft/lbs. Are you guys talking ft/lbs ot in/lbs? I can't see the manuals being that far off.

CaptKirk said:
Now, you guys have me all worried about these bolts. I checked mine last night, no problems. But, my Haynes manual says the front caliper bolt should be torqued to 25 ft/lbs and the rear to 20 ft/lbs. Are you guys talking ft/lbs ot in/lbs? I can't see the manuals being that far off.

No, those specs are for the caliper bolts. The ones they are talking about hold the pad bracket to the spindle.

Pad bracket to the spindle? I thought every one was talking about the caliper bolts.
What bolts keep falling off?

The spindle bolts are the ones that fall off. If someone were to torque the caliper bolts over 75 ft lbs. they would probably snap. I just think the terminology is wrong in the post.

The spindle bolts on my 2000 had red loc-tite from the factory. I put blue on when I changed the brakes so hopefully it won't be a problem (blue is what people here said to use).

Oh, with the caliper bolted to the pad holder on the spindle it becomes one unit. So I guess that's why they are calling them "caliper bolts" because the whole thing would swing if either came loose.

I re-read the first post on this and I f-ed up! It makes sense now. Just gald I didn't try and torque the wrong ones that much!

is a 94' a first gen ( i've owned for a couple of months) and that's all I hear is first or second gen..I guess i have the sliders on the front with mounting bolts??? :confused:

is a 94' a first gen ( i've owned for a couple of months) and that's all I hear is first or second gen..I guess i have the sliders on the front with mounting bolts???

First gen's do not have caliper bolts, we have slide pins; there's no torquing involved with them.

Back