warning lights, dash problem, alternator fixed it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

warning lights, dash problem, alternator fixed it

ronwc

Reaction score
City, State
Largo, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT
Have owned 4 different explorers over the last 20 years (94, 00, 04, 08) and have had very good reliable service from them. In fact, my 2000 had over 180k miles when I sold it still running perfect.

I recently bought a used 2008, ran perfect for the first month, very smooth and quiet. A few weeks ago the CEL and wrench came on, it would not run or shift right, and the instrument panel would sometimes go crazy.

I thought it was the TPS, but that did not fix it. Gave it to a mechanic friend of mine, he tried a few things but could not figure it out either. No definite codes except for P062C with has something to do with speed error. Problems would come and go randomly so hard to pinpoint. Would always start and idle fine, but always seems to be in limp mode, shift badly and instrument panel would sometimes act goofy.

He checked it on better diagnostic equipment, but still couldn't quite figure it out. Someone suggested checking the alternator, and as it turns out the alternator was bad and putting out voltage spikes, high and low. A new (rebuilt) alternator was put in and so far everything perfect again. Just letting you guys know in case anyone else comes across this hard to diagnose problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the same problem, my speedometer got crazy jumping and car jerking too much.
same code p062c.
is it the alternator?
help please.

A new alternator fixed it for me, runs and drives perfect ever since then.

just to be sure
is your speedometer was jumping up and down when car jerk???

These are classic symptoms of a bad or near-bad alternator. Had it happen to me with my '91 Ex. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter what year the vehicle, a crazy speedometer and weird UFO-type dash indications is a bad alternator (unless, of course, it's a UFO!).

Back