• Register Today It's free!

Warranty on Motorcraft parts

JAWIT

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer V6, 4.0L
Can anyone give me a definitive answer on the warranty policy for Motorcraft parts? Is the 24-month warranty just for replacement of defective parts or will Ford (or company you bought through) give you your money back if the part fails within the 24-month period?

Prior to installing the Simmons Auto aluminum thermostat housing, I bought a brand new Motorcraft upper and lower thermostat housing and had a shop install for me. The shop's warranty is only for 90-days on parts they install. This was in March 2019. In November 2019, the housing developed a leak somewhere and dumped some coolant on top of the engine; hence why I got the all metal housing this time. I called the online retailer where I bought the Motorcraft part and they told me the warranty was for a replacement only, not a refund. I didn't and still don't want another plastic Motorcraft housing that could fail again. The last one only lasted 8 months and it was expensive for the shop to install.

Has anyone ever received an actual refund on a defective part from Ford or is it strictly just them sending you a replacement part again? I am making the assumption that the 24-month warranty would apply to all parts, whether sold directly from Ford or through retailers they authorize to sell their parts.

Thanks!

My understanding is If the part was purchased from a Ford dealer it’s 2 years unlimited miles on the warranty and there is some kind of labor reimbursement if the installing shop was the one to purchase it from the dealer. If you purchased the part retail from the dealer and a shop installed it for you after the fact I am not sure how that would work. If the part was purchased from a parts store they are still supposed to honor the warranty, however there are some that still won’t. It depends on the store

They will warranty it (replace it) but once it's out its original box and used it can't be returned after 30 days.

I have had parts with lifetime warranties fail and bought new parts that I felt were better quality. I still returned the old part for a replacement and either sold, traded, given away, kept as spares, etc. I have a complete set of new ball joints for my D44 axle sitting on a shelf that were warranty returns. You are still owed the replacement part. Do with it what you wish.

Back