• Register Today It's free!

water damage with salvage title

jnsnwt

Reaction score
City, State
Odessa, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT Sport, 5 Spd
Go here and have a look at this Explorer that sold on Ebay for $2325 1993 Explorer

Here's a quote from the seller "READ-->>THIS SUV WAS PURCHASED BY US AT A SALVAGE AUCTION FOR FLOOD CARS---THEY SAID IT HAD LITE WATER DAMAGE BUT I CANT FIND WHERE THERE HAS EVER BEEN WATER DAMAGE---IT RUNS AND RIDES GREAT WITH NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER!---WE ARE BE SELLING IT WITH SALVAGE TITLE- "

The pics look great but for it to have a salvage title that means an insurance company saw enough water damage to say that the cost of repairs exceeded the value of the car.

I understand about water in the diff, trans and motor.
If that was the case the contamination has probably been fixed by multiple fluid changes.

What other problems will the new owner find out he bought ?

John and Sue in West Texas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could have electrical problems in the future:( My cousin bought and 98 GT stang with salvage title for water damage and he has had it three years with no problems:D

i agree vert, your taking a risk, it could have some serious electrical problems or it could be fine, your taking always taking a risk with something like that

or premature rusting from the inside out or funky smells:(

Thats a clean ex:D Too bad its 2WD:(

So the price of $2325 was not a "steal" and maybe not even a good deal ? I am guessing that $3500 for a '93 would be average price to pay. With the water damage cloud hanging over it $2325 was probably a fair price and maybe even a little on the high side. IMHO

When the new owner sells it won't 1/2 of his potential buyers walk away because of the salvage title ?

If it were totalled in a wreck next month what would the new owners insurance give him ? Assuming the new owner had full coverage. I'm betting the insurance would discount heavily what they pay because of the salvage title.

Originally posted by jnsnwt
So the price of $2325 was not a "steal" and maybe not even a good deal ? I am guessing that $3500 for a '93 would be average price to pay. With the water damage cloud hanging over it $2325 was probably a fair price and maybe even a little on the high side. IMHO

When the new owner sells it won't 1/2 of his potential buyers walk away because of the salvage title ?

If it were totalled in a wreck next month what would the new owners insurance give him ? Assuming the new owner had full coverage. I'm betting the insurance would discount heavily what they pay because of the salvage title.
And the fact its a 2WD:(

There can be some good deals to be had out there. we bought a celebrity with flood damage, "won't start"
needed a starter, never got into the carpets, ran great for years.
we also had a super nice cherokee, dealers wifes personal car, we had to strip teh interior and bleach teh carpets, but other than that it was great. Loaded to the gills, only option it didn't have was a power sunroof (manual) it even had the lighted running boards.
some insurance companies won't even bother with a close look on a flood car because of how many potential problems there might be, it's easier for them to just say scr*w it and be done with teh car. For teh new owners to sell it, they won't make as much back witha salvage title, but it also depends on the state. Some states only have salvage, some have flood titles. some have no differentiation, so you can "clean" a title by 'selling' it to someone in a no title state, and then have them 'sell'it back to you, and then re-title iot in your home state. THere is a big insurance/ used car scam going along these lines, has been for years.
always be wary of buying a car witha freshly dated title.
sorry this got so long winded! :)
Scott

Great info Scott:D

Back