Water Pump question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water Pump question.

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hey everyone, I've had a small coolant leak for about a month now. It doesn't leak on the driveway but I can see it running down the side of the engine on the passenger side. It leaks right below the alternator. The shop that I usually go to says that there's a plastic elbow that's leaking. They say it sits behind the pump and that it's not visible due to the alternator bracket. I've never seen this before and was wondering if you guys know what they're referring to and if I have to remove the pump to get to it. It's not leaking from the rubber hoses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe heater core elbow? Just a guess based on other engines, not referring to your 4L OHV and probably a wrong guess. If that's what it is, somebody like Doorman may make an upgrade replacement elbow that's cast aluminum.

I doubt you need to remove the pump but it would help if you got specific info from the shop, ask for a quote and specifically what part they're replacing. However if it's not visible due to the alternator bracket, I'd be taking the alternator and bracket off to get a better look.

Maybe heater core elbow? Just a guess based on other engines, not referring to your 4L OHV and probably a wrong guess. If that's what it is, somebody like Doorman may make an upgrade replacement elbow that's cast aluminum.

I doubt you need to remove the pump but it would help if you got specific info from the shop, ask for a quote and specifically what part they're replacing. However if it's not visible due to the alternator bracket, I'd be taking the alternator and bracket off to get a better look.

Yeah I'll have to do that. The heater hose assembly was replaced a few months ago so I doubt it's that. The only other coolants lines I can think of are the coolant sensors, the thermostat housing, and the two rubber hoses that attach to the bottom of the pump. I've never seen a plastic hose on the back of the pump.

Maybe he's confused and thinks you have the SOHC, which has a plastic thermostat housing. Nothing else is elbow-shaped. Check your thermostat housing imo.

Maybe he's confused and thinks you have the SOHC, which has a plastic thermostat housing. Nothing else is elbow-shaped. Check your thermostat housing imo.

All of the hoses and thermostat look fine. I'm starting to think that he doesn't want to uphold his part of the warranty as he recently changed the pump. I think the gasket might be somehow leaking after he changed it.

I once installed an Autozone pump that was just bad from the factory. Didn't take long for the bearing seal to leak, only a couple days. Even after pulling it off, looking at it and twisting by hand it seemed fine but there was no confusion on where it was leaking.

Anyway, I'd get a strong flashlight and mirror-on-a-stick if you don't have a mechanics extension /inspection mirror. From a different angle you might see more.

I still think you should ask exactly what part # needs replaced. If he can't come up with one, yeah that seems shady like a botched pump job. He'd have to have a part # to buy/order one. Well, maybe not, sometimes you can just go to a parts place and tell them make/model/year/engine/function and they can figure it out in their database.

Back