WeatherTech Side Window Air Deflectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WeatherTech Side Window Air Deflectors

Ima DingBat

Reaction score
City, State
ChocolateTown - USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
I purchased my 2020 Explorer Platinum as soon as orders were being accepted by Ford, and received delivery mid-2019. I've been checking the WeatherTech web site every few weeks since then to ascertain availability of Side Window Air Deflectors for the 2020 Explorer. To date, WeatherTech's web site responds by indicating that the product is not available "yet." Has WeatherTech abandoned this product for the 2020 Explorer? I believe that the Side Window Air Deflectors are actually manufactured in Europe somewhere (so much for WeatherTech's "Made In USA" slogan), but this "not yet" response is now bordering on outright DISHONESTY. Does anyone have some actual and valid knowledge of this product delay? Best regards to everyone, and be well and stay safe. Ima

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "not yet" response is not "DISHONESTY" if in fact they don't have it. It could very well be a supply issue, especially if like you said it is made in Europe. I received the same "not yet available" message on the Canadian site. It also said; Designed and Engineered in USA – Handcrafted in Germany.

Peter

This site shows it with a price but I guess that doesn't mean that they actually have it. However, there is a review of the product that was dated Jan. 22, 2020.

Peter

That Peter, is what I dislike about second and, third party vendors. In as much as they don't discount Weathertech products, one might just as well order directly from Weathertech. Several yrs ago on a visit to Chicago, I stopped at their hq in Bolingbrook, IL. It is directly off I-55 and IL 183. I was informed that backordered items when such became available were shipped first to their mail order/in store buyers first. Then, to the second/third party resellers. This really can delay things. The smaller mom and pop web based resellers actually have to order from a warehouse distributor here in the states. I would imagine it is so in Canada. Thus, a large w/d such as Summit Racing or Reliable Automotive will get their orders filled after mine because I order direct using the WT website. The poor guy that bought from a third party reseller is at the back of the bus so to say.
Mike

I have been waiting for these Weathertech visors too. Hopefully they come through. I really only want the front two and in lighter tint.

I got the ones from the Ford parts/accessories website. They fit good, only thing is they are not in-channel which I prefer.

I dropped WeatherTech an email about these. Their response was they are working hard on them but no time frame.

Translation: We have not figured out how to skirt Fords design patent. Btw, if one buys the Ford window deflectors and, has them installed by a Ford dealer, my understanding is that they are covered by the vehicle warranty. Meaning, if they come loose, the dealer is on the hook for the replacement.

Just put the Ford set on mine - very low profile compared to previous years (these are made by Lund as an FYI). Always like the over-the-window fit since those in the channel just look too small and out of place. The Ford p/n for anyone that needs it is: VLB5Z-18246-A. Around $100 give or take.

20200408_175202.jpg

Cool beans .......... Besides which, my brains are ......... Uhhhhhhh ........... my brains are ........... :laugh:

Have to add an update on these after the first couple days of having them, and definitely not being as thrilled with them as I thought. Unlike the version I had on my '14 Sport that would cover the whole upper edge of the window, even when down an inch or so, the design of these leave a triangular gap right at the forward corner of both front windows that lets in a crazy amount of wind, not to mention any moisture if there is light rain falling.

With the previous set, I could at least crack the windows when parked or driving in rain, but with these, forget about it. Totally defeats the purpose of having them. Adding to that, I had to make a slight adjustment to the passenger side back window and with some light pressure, cracked the one in about three places. Fortunately, they are warrantied by Lund, so the next time I get down to the dealership, I'll see about putting in a claim. Hopefully they'll just provide a refund or give me a complete new set that I can sell or return back. Might be changing up and going with an in-channel design this time!

View from the inside showing the front corner. Also noticed a bit of a whistle while on the highway thanks to that open tip.

20200410_124103.jpg

If you bring the window down just a bit, you get this triangular hole that lets in lots of wind, and will provide a path for water.

20200410_124120.jpg

View from the outside with the window down slightly. The front tip really needed to cover more, and I'll write Lund and let them know how poor the design is.

20200410_125904.jpg

Fortunately, they adhere mostly to the "soft" trim around the windows, so pulling them off should be much easier than if they were on the painted portion of the frame. Hope this will be good info for anyone looking at them.

Sad to say the least. Glad I didn't order them right away. Hope someone like husky comes out with them. Not a fan of Weathertech after the rear cargo liner debacle.

Yeah, definitely not happy with them. At the very least, the front tip needs to be redesigned, and how it got approved like that is amazing. Wrote Lund, but they are already closed for the weekend.

My own drawing of roughly what it should cover to be useful:

L3 modified.jpg

Since they annoyed me so much, I decided to go out and just pop them off, which was real easy (fortunately, it's cold here, so that may have helped). Definitely not a hassle like the previous versions, and not a mark at all on the trim. Will bring them down to the dealer on my next trip, and hopefully hear from someone at Lund next week as well. Total bummer.

Obvious from your picts that there is not enough coverage. Hope you are successful in your quest.

I had bought a pair of the ones offered by Ford as accessories. The passenger side one came off after a couple of weeks while driving so I pulled the others off. Awaiting in channel to be released (impatiently I might add).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sad to say the least. Glad I didn't order them right away. Hope someone like husky comes out with them. Not a fan of Weathertech after the rear cargo liner debacle.
I checked their site a while ago and they don't carry that item.

Peter

Back