• Register Today It's free!

weird cooling system problem

Ebigger

Reaction score
City, State
Minster, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4X4 Sport
I've been haveing an issue with my cooling system and would like some help figureing out the problem. I have a 1997 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC with about 125000 miles on it.

The problems is when i'm driveing the engine gets up to temp then it starts to over heat (the needle maxes out) then after about 10-30 seconds the temp drops back to lower then normal temp then slowly climbs backs to normal and stays there. When i pull over i find about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon of coolant in the overflow and both of the main radiator hoses colasped. At first i thought it was the thermostat so I replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, and flushed out the old coolant but it didn't fix it. Then i thought that i didn't get all the air out of the system so i parked the truck on ramps and ran the engine did the whole start/stop/fill till there was no air bubbles coming out but that didn't fix it. The problem doesn't happen while idleing or right after i get all the air out but the next day after it's been sitting for 8+ hours.

could the problem be a bad water pump (not leaking from weep hole) or something else? I would like some feed back from someone with more background with this type of vehicle.

I've been haveing an issue with my cooling system and would like some help figureing out the problem. I have a 1997 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC with about 125000 miles on it.

The problems is when i'm driveing the engine gets up to temp then it starts to over heat (the needle maxes out) then after about 10-30 seconds the temp drops back to lower then normal temp then slowly climbs backs to normal and stays there. When i pull over i find about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon of coolant in the overflow and both of the main radiator hoses colasped. At first i thought it was the thermostat so I replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, and flushed out the old coolant but it didn't fix it. Then i thought that i didn't get all the air out of the system so i parked the truck on ramps and ran the engine did the whole start/stop/fill till there was no air bubbles coming out but that didn't fix it. The problem doesn't happen while idleing or right after i get all the air out but the next day after it's been sitting for 8+ hours.

could the problem be a bad water pump (not leaking from weep hole) or something else? I would like some feed back from someone with more background with this type of vehicle.

is the thermostat in the right way? the "guts" or longer part toward the block? or it might even be the coolant cap

Back