Weird dimming of interior lights+slight brightening of headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird dimming of interior lights+slight brightening of headlights

Harley McIntyre

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
I noticed this one night when I was driving home, I decided to make sure all my windows were rolled up, so I pulled up on the two front switches at the same time, when I did the interior lights all dimmed slightly, and the headlights+fogs (LEDs) slightly got brighter temporarily, if I held it they went back to normal brightness, it only happened right when I pulled up on the switch, is this a possible alternator problem? I also have an aftermarket HU, 150w sub, dashcam that constantly runs, and a 150w inverter that wasn't plugged in at the time but I do use it. Does anybody know what could be causing this to happen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well starting a motor like the window regulator takes alot of amps. An example is a small 11 amp ac motor (i know we are working with dc but it is just an example same thing applies to both) may take close to 30 amps for a brief second. So the dimming lights is normal my car does it.

The brightning headlights and fogs that is interesting. What I think you saw was the load from the motor stopping and the incomming voltage come up. Led lights take very little amperage draw and they won't dim the same way a filiment bulb will. Or you saw the alternator kick in supplying the ~ 14 volts and with the extra volts and amps being available the headlights got brighter. These are just guesses and I could be totally wrong.

If you think its an alternator or battery problem go test it. You can do it yourself or take it to your local chain autoparts store and they can test them usually for free. If you decide to test it yourself do a google search or search youtube for some how to videos. Google or youtube will do a better explaining the process much better than I can.

Read up on changing spark plugs on the 3v engines

They break off inside the engine.

When I had a bad plug, i would get a dead spot about 55 to 60 mph, and the truck would jerk with a thud.

When I had cheap coils, the truck ran all sort of weird, slipping trans, jerking when taking out of park.
The wrench light came on.

What?

I think you may have posted in the wrong thread.

It's normal. All 5 vehicles I've owned with power windows would do the same thing.

It's called voltage drop to a degree it's normal
Just like when you start a car and the lights dim

Just the nature ohms law.
Voltage drop

If your lights flicker
.........mostly on cold start.... look into your alternator

Oh okay, I figured it could have just been the little bit of extra load on the charging system, thanks! No worries now!

Back