• Register Today It's free!

weird noise on '91 X...tranny?

shocker91

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, In
Year, Model & Trim Level
"91 eb
1991 X with 120K miles, new (rebuilt) automatic tranny maybe 40k miles ago....fine on start-up but when shift while sitting in the driveway with foot on brake into reverse, or drive (not in neutral) I hear a loud whirring/winding sound (almost like when you pull start an old mower and it doesn't catch) from below. My wife also mentioned that she had it happen while sitting at a light. It appears to drive and shift fine while going at normal driving speeds. Any ideas as to what may be going on??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it shifts fine

Take it on the highway at 60 mph and is thr rpm normal or is it taching high. The overdrive clutch drum connects to a "star wasger" or overdrive adaptor that has castle teeth. Over time it tends to bend backwards and it can hobble over these teeth.

after another test drive...

Drove it off the shop lot for another drive per suggestion from last post: had been sitting awhile so it was cold, whirring noise when put in drive per original post, initial take off caused high tach in initial gear but I let off at 4000 and paused a bit, gave it gas again and it shifted, kept driving and held at 60 for awhile but with no high tach noticed or any real problems once warm and at the higher speeds. Once back and at idle I ran it through shifting to drive and reverse and whirring still there.

Shop's opinion suggests rebuilt (not a tranny shop so only do rebuilts) for $2500 but hoping for other less expensive options or opinions.

Re: after another test drive...

Originally posted by shocker91
Drove it off the shop lot for another drive per suggestion from last post: had been sitting awhile so it was cold, whirring noise when put in drive per original post, initial take off caused high tach in initial gear but I let off at 4000 and paused a bit, gave it gas again and it shifted, kept driving and held at 60 for awhile but with no high tach noticed or any real problems once warm and at the higher speeds. Once back and at idle I ran it through shifting to drive and reverse and whirring still there.

Shop's opinion suggests rebuilt (not a tranny shop so only do rebuilts) for $2500 but hoping for other less expensive options or opinions.

A very inexpensive way to attempt your problem is, do a tranny service (fluid, gasket and filter) but add a bottle of "LUCAS" transmission. I have used this stuff before and it really does work. Maybe not for this problem but its worth a try.

Try LUCAS transmission additive, ive seen this stuff work some miracles. Hey, its worth a shot.

Back