Weird OBD2 Scan Tool Data | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ForFun

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.0 OHV 4WD
I would appreciate any feedback on this issue. I have a 1997 4.0 OHV that is throwing P0171 and P0174 codes, and the scan tool data is unusual.

Looking at OBD live data, the STFT and LTFT both show -100.0 for bank 1 and 2. Not changing with time or RPM. Also, O2 sensors are registering 0V, with no movement.
I'm wondering if there is something stopping the PCM from sending data on these sensors.
I've used various scan tools, all show the same. Also checked other vehicles with the scan tools and get sensible readings.
Fuel pressure reads 32PSI Key in Engine Off, and 35PSI with engine running.
Coolant 192F. MAF 0.62 lb/min (3.56 g/s)
I've replaced the PCV valve and the connecting hose with OEM parts.

I can't really move ahead with any more diagnostics until I figure out this weird STFT/LTFT and O2 sensor data. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97-98 Exes are rare cars that don't show OBD data correctly. There is nothing much you can do. You have to get FORSCAN, which is free and uses an inexpensive OBD adapter. You also have access to many more PIDs.

Thanks for the info. It's good to know there's a possible solution out there. I'll check it out.

Much appreciated.

I'm going to take another run at this also.
The first elm327 adapter I purchased was a piece of crap and I couldn't get it to work with any application.
Here's the one I just ordered, as people are rating it really well.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B011NSX27A/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item

BAFX brand is another excellent choice. I worked with the Forscan author to get some ABS functions and the keyless entry code pid. Forscan can also ABS bleed brakes, he can usually add it if someone requests it and it is not there for you model. There is no reason to use OBD alone today for diagnostics, this isn't 2002. OBD PIDS are a barebones minimum. For example, only Ford PIDs can show BARO(maf health) or EGR.

Wow,
I'm sure hoping the cheap one I bought works. Its funny, going cheap rarely works out cheap.
Feedback as to which odb2 adapter works well is really appreciated. If the cheap one I just bought doesn't work, I'll go BAFX.

I'm interested in this, too. But, I'm technology challenged and could use some specific instructions and brands/parts I need to buy that will work with my Android phone. Thanks.

Not sure why..Its just a link to amazon Canada
Anyway, here's the description. Maybe search it on amazon.com

I bought one of the little blue ones a couple years ago, different branding but I found that many are the same with a different label slapped on. They all claim "all" OBDII but it's not true for many of them.

Anyway mine doesn't do J1850 so won't work on my '98 or other vehicles I tried it on, but does do canbus on my '14 so I kept it for that as it was only ~ $5, then bought the BAFX which does work on my '98.

I actually took the little blue one apart (forcefully, it's glued or heat-welded together then I had to use model glue to put the shell back on later) and traced the circuit on the PCB enough to realize that it "could" have done J1850 but they didn't populate the circuit board with the components necessary for that protocol... to save a few cents I suppose.

If it were larger or constructed a different way (instead of stacked PCBs with a pin header riser soldered between them) I would have just bought the components and soldered them on, but the way it's made that would be more trouble than it's worth.

^ No I think that's the real deal. I bought mine on Amazon but they both have the plastic casing and label change to black that BAFX made when the clones started using an almost identical blue label they were using at the time. A picture of the old blue label, which mine also has, can be seen in the 2nd link. I bought it right before they changed the label.

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS

http://scantoolcenter.com/obd2-scanners/bafx-products-bluetooth-obd2-scan-tool-reviews/

Anyway, unlike the tiny translucent blue cased units, these are held together with standard screws so you can open it and compare to existing pictures of the BAFX version to confirm it's genuine.

Oh yeah, don't use the included CD at all, it's just old demos and supposedly some malware too... not needed at all with Forscan or Torque.

Back