Weird Transmission Behavior - Shift Assembly? Cable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird Transmission Behavior - Shift Assembly? Cable?

BoscoMoney

Reaction score
City, State
Mebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLS 2wd
For a few years now, I've only driven my truck in town because I thought I was facing the dreaded transmission servo issue. Its not a constant problem though. It comes and goes. Its so wonky. It'll flare between the 1-2nd shift and 2-3rd shift.
About 3 weeks ago I turned a corner and completely lost drive. Like it was in neutral. Just revved. I pulled over, stopped and shifted to Park.
Something in my mind has been bothering me about this problem for months. The shift lever is so sloppy. When I shift to D or any gear below it, it will almost stop between gears. Its just mushy and not at all a positive manual shift between them.
So when I lost drive completely around the turn and stopped, I shifted out of Park down in 1, and then up from there into Drive. And when I do that, it feels and slides like it should.
And what I've noticed is since I've done that, I have no more flare issues. 3 weeks no problems, when in the past its acted up probably once maybe twice a week. It's so random.
So what do you think? Are one of my cable ends bad and not allowing it to positively shift into Drive allowing it to slip out of gear? Bad lever assembly at the cable connect inside the truck? An issue at the transmission where the cable connects? Wishful thinking/hoping/praying?
Has anyone had a problem like this?
I'm sorry if this is a bit of a ramble but honestly, I just took it out on a 2 hour trip today for the first time in a LONG time shifting into Drive as I said and it performed flawlessly. I'd like to nail the problem down.
And one more thing, when it has acted up it's NEVER thrown a code or stored one. Its just....weird.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about the manual lever position sensor/range sensor? Could it be the manual lever on the transmission itself? Is this a "well buddy you better start somewhere and get to checking" kind of thing? Its just does not feel like the bore wear issue. Wouldn't that throw codes and happen all the time? This is just so intermittent.

Is this "normal"? It really seems jacked up to me. The way it wants to fall between gears like there are gear detents there. Its not precise at all.

And(as I said before, and time has passed since) since I've been shifting it down into 1st and then back up into Drive, zero transmission flaring issues.

I don't know, you all tell me, is this the normal Explorer shifter experience?

Have you checked the linkages? it is possible they are worn. The shifting issue is interesting what have you tried so far to diag or fix? how is the fluid level and condition? fluid level is a pain to check because there is no dipstick. what you have to do is remove a screw from a bolt in the transmission pan while its running and all you are looking for is a fluid drip every one in a while if it flows out its overfull if nothing comes out its probally low. if it is low you will need a special tool that screws into the spot you took the plug out of and a pump to pump the fluid into the pan.

Have you checked the linkages? it is possible they are worn. The shifting issue is interesting what have you tried so far to diag or fix? how is the fluid level and condition? fluid level is a pain to check because there is no dipstick. what you have to do is remove a screw from a bolt in the transmission pan while its running and all you are looking for is a fluid drip every one in a while if it flows out its overfull if nothing comes out its probally low. if it is low you will need a special tool that screws into the spot you took the plug out of and a pump to pump the fluid into the pan.
Linkages? Like the cable ends where they attach inside the vehicle and at the transmission? No. Not yet.
I don't have a driveway I live on a fairly steep incline and I'm waaay to big to get under the truck without raising it.

I agree those need to be checked. I had the fluid level checked a few years ago, they said the level was fine and the color was fine. That's grain of salt I suppose. Take their word for it.

I have everything to do a pan drop change. My Wife's Bro has a nice place where I can do it. He lives the next town over.

As far a Diag? Well its not throwing any codes it never has. I checked the transmission temp with a scan tool, it was fine and well within tolerance.
I don't know how or why I started on the thought of the transmission acting up because of it not going into gear completely(or slipping out of or between gears) besides just the amount of slop in the lever. That's when I had the idea, and I know I keep saying this, but if you shift it straight down from Park into 1, and then back up into drive it feels a lot more positive in its action and I've not had it act up since. Its the damndest thing.

I suppose I really need to have someone shift through while I watch at the transmission and also pull off the inside covers and check the connection at the lever. I had the notion to change out both the shift lever assembly and the cable because I figured it would fix it. I can get both OEM from a Ford dealer for around $215 shipped.

I was curious if anyone else had this problem with the floor shifter in their Explorer, or is your shifter very precise when shifting to and through gears?

yeah the cable ends mainly at the transmission. on mine the shifter feels a little sloppy I guess but this could be due to me not being used to driving it I have been driving a '22 f150 for the past year and the shifter detents on it are much firmer. i have not seen anything reported on the forum with similer symptoms but you could always do an advance search and select just the 2006-2010 stock forum wil a some keywords like shifter issue or similer keywords. something to check I believe there is a tsb out for the ac drain dripping on the transmission connector causing issues might be worth a check this usually presents with a dtc though.
how many miles are on the vehicle?

Well I went out and removed some floor panels inside so I could get a good view of the cable attachment.

The grommet looks fine, I spose it could be bad but I really don't want to go pulling it off and then have nothing to replace it in case it crumbles apart when I pull it off.

I got my head underneath the truck but I'm not sure what I can do or even see with the metal box Ford encased the grommet cable end in. And yeah, I pulled off the shielding on it which...TADA! revealed ANOTHER box beneath it. So, I have no idea if maybe that end is just not adjusted right....or what. Again, don't want to go prying it off as I believe that end is actually clipped on and I don't want to break it prying it off. And with the box encasing you cant see anything.

I am aware of the stupid design that allows the AC drain to drip directly on that connector. I have a ratcheting wrench waiting specifically for that check when I'm able to get a work space.

I know I just need to get to it and make something happen. I get it. But my idea was to ask you guys who own one of these Gen Explorers what the floor shifter is like. Do any of you have one that is sloppy like mine, or is it pretty firm and positive shifting between the gears....?

I've been on YouTube and watched what little I could find where people are shifting a Gen 4 Explorer floor shifter and I have to say, they all seem much more direct and tight.

Truck has a little over 130,000 miles on it.

Back