• Register Today It's free!

Weld to exploder frame?

hazardiz

Reaction score
City, State
Prince George, BC, Canda
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
I was wondering what the deal is with welding to the explorer frames...cause they are tempered...and everything is riveted on instead of welded...and i've seen some people weld brackets and other stuff to their frame...and i was just wondering...doesn't this take the temper out of the frame right there and make it weaker? or is this just a myth or does it not decrease the strength enough to mention it? some opinions and facts would be sweet...thanks :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 2002 the whole front cross member is welded to the frame. Lots of welds on that darn frame..lol

If you do decide to weld, don't be stupid like me my first time: disconnect the battery or you will blow some fuses :)

I've never heard anything about weakening frames due to welding...

The frames are not tempered, they are just mild steel. Weld away, just don't weld continuously. Just like welding sheetmetal seams, it is best to weld in short lengths at a time. Good luck,

A lot of parts that go from one side to the other are riveted to allow some kind of flex due to the twisting of the C configuration of the frame. If your just welding brackets no problem. I have a good friend who builds hot rods from the ground up, but they are high horse power which even puts more strain on the frame. He showed me a frame that someone had welded a cross member to. He had welds going full length up and down on the frame, cracked the frame were frame met the weld.

They also rivet stuff for ease of production.

Agreed, I think that Ford probably developed the automation to make all of the welds on the 1995 and up frames. Regards,

hmm...thanks for the input...yah cause i was told that if things such as the cab mounts and other things like coil buckets are riveted on...the frame is tempered...well that sucks..cause i drilled and bolted my entire lift setup in...oh well...just good to know when i re-enforce my engine craddle for the stroker i have built to go in...and the fox racing nitro shocks i wanna do...lol...so for sure the frames are not tempered and i will not weaken it? cause i just wanna be sure so that if i weld to it and then get my truck inspected that they don't fail me...cause that would suck...was any of fords stuff tempered?

Their Katana blades were tempered....oh wait thats the Samurai.....

Maybe there race vehicles chassis and parts on them are tempered for the constant high stress loads?

HAZIRDIZ

by the letter of the law you are not allowed to weld from the rear most spring hanger to the front most spring hanger on the frame.... i understand BC is very **** about this sorta stuff so i would ask a inspection station what u kin get away with before you do anything... i dont see a issue with welding to the front crossmember but they might git nervous if you try to fishplate yer frame er sumthin

thanks hot wheels...i'll hafta ask my buddy who owns a shop...the reason i was wanting to know is cause a) i have to fix my frame where i tore a shock mount off cause 15" of travel ain't enough...lol...and b) i might want to go to air or nitro shocks to support the truck and would feel better if could weld to the frame all the related bracketry...

best to ask a certified inspection station before you go welding stuff to yer frame... here in alberta they could care less but BC is rather **** about this sorta stuff... but if a inspection station will sign off on it then fill yer boot's...

no chance i would drive away from a roadside inspection in BC... one look at where i plated my frame and welded the trac-bar mount on and they would fail it i think.. one one to find out fer sure tho :D

Back