welding - how to help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

welding - how to help?

I got a project car (my first one)... it needs the floor-pans redone... a friend will lease me a Miller Gold Seal ARC 225 welder for $150 for 3 months...

my questions are:

1. is this the right welding machine?
2. what kind of sticks do I need to buy to do the job?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

X2... welding sheet metal with stick welder sucks. Specially if you have 0 XP welding. Find a friend to lease you a mig for 3 months...

DITTO. Stick welding on very thin material is tough for us who weld a lot, let alone a novice (I'm assuming) Either get a wire feed welder or a MIG (Preferred) they are easier and won't destroy other stuff in the process

just like everyone is saying, go mig. even if you didn't blow a hole into the panels that your welding, you more then likely will warp the crap out of it. get a 120v mig, and you will do fine. also, when you do weld, if you are putting a panel on (like a patch or something like a quarter panel), do not weld more the a 1/4 at a time, and jump from spot to spot so you will lessen your chance of warping the panels.

I have been welding for 20 years on all types of material. I have done structural and even panel repair on doors for a contractor. TIG is the best for body panels if you REALLY know what you are doing. If you are a beginner, and really have no clue, I woudl say a 110V MIG wire welder would be best. Try it out on a LOT of scrap first. Start out low and slow. Low heat and low wire speed that is. Use spot welds and move around alot to avoid warping. take several breaks to allow metal to cool. Then grind. Start out with a hard wheel then go to a flap wheel. Fill and low spots and re flap wheel it. Good luck

I have been welding for 20 years on all types of material. I have done structural and even panel repair on doors for a contractor. TIG is the best for body panels if you REALLY know what you are doing. If you are a beginner, and really have no clue, I woudl say a 110V MIG wire welder would be best. Try it out on a LOT of scrap first. Start out low and slow. Low heat and low wire speed that is. Use spot welds and move around alot to avoid warping. take several breaks to allow metal to cool. Then grind. Start out with a hard wheel then go to a flap wheel. Fill and low spots and re flap wheel it. Good luck

good advice. it is also best to have a body hammer and a bucket with Cold water and a rag close to "hammer weld" then cool it down w/the water. helps w/warpage as well.

OP, Believe me, you do not want a stick welder for this. i am actually repairing some rust spots on my explorer and even w/a Lincoln 110v mig (no gas right now tho :() set low and slow (low heat, wire speed 2-2.5) i got a few little burn throughs (im still a "beginner" tho :p, this is my first project like this). Just take your time and go slow.

BTW, here is a link to a excellent welding forum i use. Tons of great knowledge there.
http://weldingweb.com/

Back