• Register Today It's free!

What Alternate Tires Can I Use?

Smaug

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate Western New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT 4x4
FORD OEM tires called for are either P225/75/15 (hard to find) or P235/70/15 (easy to find). Could I use a narrower tire like a 215 or 205 as I'm driving on pavement with 4 months of snow and or ice? Would a narrower tire increase the roll-over potential?

Can I use "P" tires sold for mini-van use? Or must I stay with those "P"s sold for SUV and light truck?

I'll not buy new rims but keep the 15 inch Alloy rims that came with the truck.

If this was the Ranger I would go LT but I'm not sure I want the stiffer ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could use a smaller tire if you wanted. "P" tires are rated as passenger car tires. "LT" is the designation for light truck. I ran 225/60/16's for a while.

The reason they call for LT is that your truck has a hauling capacity that exceeds the weight limit of most P tires. so you would have to check local restrictions on mounting a P tire on your truck. The smaller tires would be fine for your truck, and probably give a little better fuel mileage due to less road surface contact.

Just make sure the load rating on the tire matches orr exceeds the load rating on each axle, that way safety is not a factor.

Actually, most major tire chains will only install P radials on Explorers.

To; Mbrooks420

You could use a smaller tire if you wanted. "P" tires are rated as passenger car tires. "LT" is the designation for light truck. I ran 225/60/16's for a while.

To repeat; "Ford OEM calls for P225/75/15 which not as common as the alternative size, the P235/70/15". I'm trying to find out if there is a narrower choice than those two (that is as common as the P235/70/15) that would be safe to use. Im NOT going to buy new rims!!!!

Most people that I've spoken to so far say the "LTs" are too hard a ride and to stay with the P tires if at all possible.:cool:

p225-75-r15.just a click below p235-75-r15's

Hold it, Ford originally forbade Explorers to be fitted with ordinary passenger tires, HiPo street tires, or passenger all-season tires. It needs to be LT or AT. If you have 4wd, just get A/Ts.

The correct factory tire sizes were 225/70 R15. Optional size were 235/75 R15.

I'd just go with the 235/75 R15 tires. It's a popular size that can be found easily.

ahh did not know that ...i just figured with my 2005 colorado pickup it came stock with p225-75-r15 general tires .would that not be a Lt truck tire?

Lt tires are basically load rated and are meant for vehicles that will be towing alot. Explorers to F150s to expeditions to silverados have P-rated tires from the factory but the f250's and silverado HD's etc.. come with LT tires which also have different load range designations like D,E etc.. specifying its weight limit.

See the thing that gets people confused is they see "P" which means passenger so they think passenger car when in fact it means any vehicle that carries passengers like a car, suv or truck and is going to carry a normal load. While LT tires are alot stiffer to handle the added pressure that a heavier load places on it. And then there are tires rated for trailer use and so on.

To; Mbrooks420

To repeat; "Ford OEM calls for P225/75/15 which not as common as the alternative size, the P235/70/15". I'm trying to find out if there is a narrower choice than those two (that is as common as the P235/70/15) that would be safe to use. Im NOT going to buy new rims!!!!

Most people that I've spoken to so far say the "LTs" are too hard a ride and to stay with the P tires if at all possible.:cool:
I really don't understand the importance of your REPEATED INFORMATION. No one said anything about buying rims. Run 225 70 15's, or even 195 75's, if ya really want. Your gas mileage will go down and your cruising rpm will up.

ahh did not know that ...i just figured with my 2005 colorado pickup it came stock with p225-75-r15 general tires .would that not be a Lt truck tire?
That's a P radial.

:thumbsup: k,gotcha

I really don't understand the importance of your REPEATED INFORMATION. No one said anything about buying rims. Run 225 70 15's, or even 195 75's, if ya really want. Your gas mileage will go down and your cruising rpm will up.

I dont think they make a 195 75 in a 15in wheel and if they do they're gonna be really hard to find.

ok, so i work in a tire warehouse, im really familiar with tires, work with em every day, from a 155/12 to 54 inch boggers. i say a light truck tire would do u great, in a 235/70r15, most tires are a load range c, anything larger such as 8 ply 10ply and 12 ply, u are gona feel a stiffer ride. a 6 ply(load range c) is standard and will give u a good ride, and u can still haul stuff if u would like, just not anything rediculous. so my opinion is a 235 just cause its a good size tire, u will keep your gas milage, ur rpms will stay low on cruis, if it was me i would throw 31s on it, but tahts jsut me, they look great like taht, but i dont think u want the off road look.....

To; Mbrooks420

I thought he optional size was a p235/75/15, well at least thats what my door sticker says.
You could run a 215 but its going to be kinda small and I wouldnt even think about a 205, I ranger came into work with those on it and it looked crazy.
I dont drive in snow because it never snows down here but wouldnt a wider tire do better in those conditions?

934life I also work in a tire place and I hate every minute of it.

I have a 94 and I just run 235/75/15's on it.They are easy to find and in all price ranges ,I run goodyears on mine because it had 2 almost new ones on it when I bought it.Simple and easy,thats the way I like things :D

91exploreron37s, working with tires do suck, u in a ware house or a tire shop? and ware at and whats the name?

I work at Sears Auto Center in Memphis. Its a tire shop(we also do susp, brakes, etc..) with the average tire stock room.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I work at Sears Auto Center in Memphis. Its a tire shop(we also do susp, brakes, etc..) with the average tire stock room.

rock on man!
im workin at Ben tire dist. LTD. in indiana, also a sister company is neal tire, they are a tire service place, ben tire is the ware house

Back