What are the best rotors and pads to use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are the best rotors and pads to use?

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
My pepboys brake pads that I installed back in February have glazed over and thus destroyed the brand new pep boys rotor I had installed on the front right. Kind of pissed.

What are the best pads/rotors to use? I'm looking at Summit extreme cross-drilled rotors, but not sure what pads to use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most people say not to go with drilled cause they can crack easier... Slotted seems to be a common upgrade. However, I don't know much in this subject, so I'm not sure if my info is correct, but I do hope to learn some from the other comments :D

Most people say not to go with drilled cause they can crack easier... Slotted seems to be a common upgrade. However, I don't know much in this subject, so I'm not sure if my info is correct, but I do hope to learn some from the other comments :D

Theoretically, from a structural point they most certainly are more prone to cracking, however, I've never heard any stories of them actually cracking.

if you intend on staying with stock stuff, i'd say buy wagner rotor's and wagner thermo quiet pads. stay away from brands made in china, india, mexico or any other foreign countries and be sure to clean your new rotor's with brake-clean before installing your pads. Also take it easy on the brakes for the 1st few hundred miles.

My pepboys brake pads that I installed back in February have glazed over and thus destroyed the brand new pep boys rotor I had installed on the front right. Kind of pissed.

The rotors are not destroyed. Are just covered with burn by-products from the pads. Can be easily wiped off with sandpaper.
Next time use better pads and follow the bedding procedure:
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edoc/brakebedding.pdf

if you intend on staying with stock stuff, i'd say buy wagner rotor's and wagner thermo quiet pads. stay away from brands made in china, india, mexico or any other foreign countries and be sure to clean your new rotor's with brake-clean before installing your pads. Also take it easy on the brakes for the 1st few hundred miles.

I used Wagner stuff on my 03 and was quite pleased with them.

The rotors are not destroyed. Are just covered with burn by-products from the pads. Can be easily wiped off with sandpaper.
Next time use better pads and follow the bedding procedure:
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edoc/brakebedding.pdf

They're grooved pretty nicely. They're in worse shape then the old rotor I replaced...

I have been bragging about the cross drilled roters on my Ex for years.
Power Stop cross drilled rotors and Peerformance Friction pads in 2005. over 80k ago and the pads are about 75% worn. Better stopping power fweel and much better wear. Whats not to like.

And no cracking.

I have been bragging about the cross drilled roters on my Ex for years.
Power Stop cross drilled rotors and Peerformance Friction pads in 2005. over 80k ago and the pads are about 75% worn. Better stopping power fweel and much better wear. Whats not to like.

And no cracking.

My dad's caddy came with ceramic pads from the factory. He's got 42K on them and they are just now getting low. 40K+ on pads is unheard of around here.

Back