• Register Today It's free!

What are the numbers for NORMAL

bruce119

Reaction score
City, State
Holiday, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer
Any one know what the temperature gauge “NORMAL” translates into actual temperature. I just rebuilt my cooling system new Radiator, Water Pump, Fan & Clutch, the Hoses and Thermostat.

I put a Motocraft 190 thermostat in and it is sticking. At normal operating temp it stays around just below on the edge the N then at time very intermittent it will quickly rise to the R-M and quickly drop back down to below N. It does it wile at highway speeds and even at low speeds and ideal. So I am almost certain it’s a thermostat.

What I want to know is what does the NORMAL equate to actual numbers. I am guessing that the low side of N is rite around 190 then what would M be or L be. Anyone know for sure.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any one know what the temperature gauge “NORMAL” translates into actual temperature. I just rebuilt my cooling system new Radiator, Water Pump, Fan & Clutch, the Hoses and Thermostat.

I put a Motocraft 190 thermostat in and it is sticking. At normal operating temp it stays around just below on the edge the N then at time very intermittent it will quickly rise to the R-M and quickly drop back down to below N. It does it wile at highway speeds and even at low speeds and ideal. So I am almost certain it’s a thermostat.

What I want to know is what does the NORMAL equate to actual numbers. I am guessing that the low side of N is rite around 190 then what would M be or L be. Anyone know for sure.
Thanks

1. It's sounds like you have air in the system...do a search on "burping" the cooling system.
2. I'm not sure how accurate the gauge is, but mine has run consistently just below the "R". When it's real cold out, and the engine is cold, the gauge will fluctuate a few times as the thermostat cycles.
2. Consider changing the sending unit...it's pretty cheap, and mine went wacko after about 150,000 miles.

Hope this helps.:usa:

1. It's sounds like you have air in the system...do a search on "burping" the cooling system.
2. I'm not sure how accurate the gauge is, but mine has run consistently just below the "R". When it's real cold out, and the engine is cold, the gauge will fluctuate a few times as the thermostat cycles.
2. Consider changing the sending unit...it's pretty cheap, and mine went wacko after about 150,000 miles.

Hope this helps.:usa:

Yea I know about the burping and I will try again. I haven't put much miles (maybe 60) on since I did the rebuild. I read that some thermostats settle in after a wile a break in period. But I went with a MotorCraft and I guess I expected steady temps rite from the start. The old one I took out was pretty stable I would heat up a little when in slow stop and go pretty normal. I did get a new NAPA Superstat 180 #533080 but I will hold on to it for a bit before replacing.

It just seems like a stat to me. The temp would climb a bit then quickly fall off to colder than normal, then come up to normal stay there for a wile then climb again. Just feels like a sticky stat. It stays closed too long water stops circulating, engine temp goes up, water in radiator cools, then thermostat opens, and engine temp drops quickly to lower than normal. Like I said it was intermittent did it 3 or 4 times over a 30 mile run. I don't do much long drives average maybe 10 miles this was the first time over a 25 mile run since rebuild.

I still curious if someone knows what the temp numbers are on the gage. If the "N" in NORMAL is about 190 then what is it if you get to R-M 210-215??? what about the L 220-225???
Thanks

Stock thermostat should be 195°.

With that 'stat, the gauge on my '94 likes to stick itself right about between the R and the M (pretty much dead-straight-up). I would think the N to be around 170° and the L maybe around 225° but those are just guesses.

The 190-195 'stats open at their spec'd temp, and that's the middle of the gauge, so around the R-M is 190-195. N would be 180 or so, L would be 200+.

Just because a thermostat is new, even a Motorcraft one, doesn't mean it works properly. If you really want to be sure before installing, the recommended procedure is to put it in a pot of boiling water and monitor the water temp to check if it opens correctly.

If you redid everything else and flushed the system, then it probably is the thermostat. You should be able to take the Motorcraft one back where you bought it with receipt and exchange it under warranty.

I would not suggest ever using the 180 degree Superstat or any 180 degree superstat unless you live in a HOT hot climate that sees 100-110 degree temps.

I'd suggest returning the 180 degree Superstat back to NAPA and exchanging it for the 195 degree, and keep it as a spare.

I got all my parts from Rock Auto. I got a motorcraft 190 'stat just to avoid a problem.

It seems to be normal at about the N then rises to about the R-M (I'm guessing maybe a 10 deg. swing) then quickly drops to below the N. It's just annoying I guess I can order another one call them and tell what I am doing. Replace the new one when I get it and hope that it is more consistent. Then return the faulty one. Any chance a new 'stat mite need a break-in period and get stable with a little time??

What do ya think
Thanks

I would not suggest ever using the 180 degree Superstat or any 180 degree superstat unless you live in a HOT hot climate that sees 100-110 degree temps.
As I said in his other thread, in Florida it's fine.

Back