• Register Today It's free!

what can I get for my new SOHC?

BajaXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 2WD
Im wondering whats out there performance wise for the SOHC?

in particular- exhuast, K&N filterchargers, etc.

Alos is anything on the OHV 4L swapable or this an ENTIRELY different engine?

Thanks,
Doug

soon to be '97 XLT 2WD SOHC , Torredor Red, Loaded

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, you can get a chip, i suggest a superchip. you can get exhaust, i suggest getting whatever muffler you want and taking it to a local exhaust shop and having custom pipes run - i only paid like $180 for mine. you can also get a KKM tru-rev kit (basically the same thing as the K&N FIPK.) i have all of those and im very happy with them. hope this helps.

i dont think ohv engine mods or mods for the ohv will work for the sohc, what you complaining about anyways, you got well over 200 hp, your car is faster than mine will ever be

what manufacturers make exhausts for the SOHC?
I had a chip on my older ranger and never had anything but problems. Plus I dont want to have to run PREMIUM as thats the reason Im getting a 6cyl in the first place. We have a AWD Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 right now and the mileage is the pits..

Also what type of mileage are most folks getting with this motor?

Thanks again,
Doug

Right now I'm getting about 15mpg city driving.
Keep in mind I drive it kinda rough. I don't use the air conditioning unless its raining(I can't use the windows when its raining).

baja,

you can get gibson exhaust and a few others maybe...i think - i know borla doesnt make the kit anymore, cuz i tried to get it and they told me they dont make it anymore. i suggest a custom system. you pick a muffler and take it to a shop and have them bend all the pipes for ya. imo, its better - all welded and custom fit. its also cheaper.

im getting about 17 mpg with all my mods (exhaust, chip, kkm.) considering my original window sticker says 12, that aint too shabby.

How on Earth does your sticker say 12? My '97 4x4 Sport with 4.10 has 15 city and 19 highway on my sticker. The only time I ever approached 12 was when I hauled a 4000 lb 5x8 enclosed trailer across the US.

how about getting an extended warranty?

im 99% sure that my sticker says 12/17 or 12/18, but ill check later this week to make sure. i dont remember what my truck was actually getting before my exhaust, but i did see an improvement.

I get 18-19 city and 21-23 highway with the mods I have made ( listed below ). I always use the AC too.... its a Florida kinda thing.

Back