What did they do to our Transfer Case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did they do to our Transfer Case?

Brainpicker

Reaction score
City, State
Oakdale, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bower
We have a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bower Edition. We had work done on it and we don't have a clue what they did. What we do know is they made a new problem that wasn't there before they worked on it.
What the invoice says they did is:

"Labor- Rate 4 Replace - Borg Warner 4404, Viscous Drive -
Complete Assembly Without Transfer of Parts $320
Part- F67Z7Z227AA Borg Warner 4404, Viscous Drive $19.62"

What in the world does that mean?
What we do know is they broke a bolt that holds the transfer case to driveline and left the broken bolt inside the transfer case. It was even left in there when they "fixed" the transfer case again they said "It is only 1 of 8". Could that have harmed anything? (Another shop fished it out 3 months later.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where to start..... The Viscous drive is the part of you AWD case that drives the front axle. It is a clutch pack type assembly that cannot be repaired.......Although I am not sure what was replaced b/c the best price I have seen on this part is $300+ new and your prices listed are for labor and a $19 part.

I just replaced my BW 4404 ( whole transfer case) yesterday will a used case b/c of this part.

Why were you having work done?

They broke one on the drive shaft bolts? Shouldn't be too hard to remove, the holes go all the way through. They shouldn't leave it that way even though it would probably not cause a problem. But you make it sound as though the bolt was inside the case??

Jess

What did they do?

We took it in because the front driverside started shaking like mad, making it hard to steer and it was also making a chinking sound, like a driveline when the U joint is getting ready to fall off.
They worked on it twice and it did the same thing each time following their work.
The second time they replaced 8 bearings ($79) , oil seal ($10.81), and replace carrier and pinion seal ($160)
I wondered about the cost of the Viscous Drive.... I saw it online for a few hundred dollars.

The thing that was causing the shaking was the ball joints, which they gave me an estimate for also, but alas... I opted to take it to another shop.

After shop #1 worked on it the second time, we got a new problem. When I step on the gas of the Explorer you hear a clunk, then when ecelorating and decelorating (hope I spelled that right) it makes a squealing noise from the transfer case.

$600 later and we still can't figure out what they did.

Thanks for the quick reply!

What did they do?

Jess,

Yes they did leave the broken part (bolt) in there, they told me it was broke off "but it is only 1 of 8 and it should be fine". If they replaced all these things we paid for, could they not have seen it? They are the first shop to ever mess with the transfer case.
The second shop fished it out from where the driveline connects to the transfer case and replaced it.

I am not sure about the squealing noise? and the clunking they fixed could have been a lot of things....bearing/chain???

Are you still having symptoms or just want to know what they did? is the later why don't you just ask them.

Jess

Clunking is one of the new noises they made along with squeeling. When they told us what they did on the first invoice (above) over the phone last week, they said they replaced a bearing, but that was on the second invoice.
We now have to take it to a transmission place because they messed up the transfer case and we are afraid to let them work on it again.
What we would like to know is what did they do the first time. What they put on the invoice doesn't seem to jive with what they put on the invoice (to us amyway, but we are not mechanics).

Back