What do these red button do?

zeroturbolag

Reaction score
City, State
Troy
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
Hello everyone! Quick question on this 2013 Police Interceptor Utility:

Found a red button on steering wheel column, and another one on center console next to usb port

Plz see attached photos. Anyone knows what does it do?

E386749D-9F2F-4CE2-B5AF-F377241C9646.jpeg 477ED325-B7A1-4BDC-9037-9E70D5455BAA.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are clearly shade tree add-ons, so there's no way for us to tell. Just follow the wires and see where they go.

I will guess the toggle might be a external (roll bar?) light switch

its always the red button thats most intriguing!

Ejection seat? Bond, James Bond....

Hello everyone! Quick question on this 2013 Police Interceptor Utility:

Found a red button on steering wheel column, and another one on center console next to usb port

Plz see attached photos. Anyone knows what does it do?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As mentioned above, they are not OEM so you will have to do some investigating/tracing on your own.

Peter

They are clearly shade tree add-ons, so there's no way for us to tell. Just follow the wires and see where they go.

I will guess the toggle might be a external (roll bar?) light switch
Shade tree lol

They are for police officer use.
The few squads I have worked on have them.
Cop friends say they are how they keep patrol car running without the keys when they exit the vehicle and lock the doors.
Don't know the exact combination of how to use but must be simple. IE: push button, remove key, get out , lock door.

Bruce

Cop friends say they are how they keep patrol car running without the keys when they exit the vehicle and lock the doors.
Don't know the exact combination of how to use but must be simple. IE: push button, remove key, get out , lock door.

Bruce
oh that keep running stuff? but without the key in you cant shift right? think ive heard of that before.

Bruce
The button near the ign switch would be for that. The toggle I don't know.

oh that keep running stuff? but without the key in you cant shift right? think ive heard of that before.
Yes, I think I did it once on a an Explorer PIU but don't remember exactly the procedure. IIRC it was simple.
All drivability is locked as with key out. Engine and accessories all stay running (A/C, Laptops, lights...).

Going slightly off topic. If you've heard the automotive term "severe duty", it usually pertains to commercial vehicles such as police cars, taxis, emergency vehicles, and others that are left running without the odometer rolling. Just a bit of trivia I didn't know until I Googled. LOL

Bruce
I am sure that I've read that the PIU already has that feature from the factory.

Peter

Going slightly off topic. If you've heard the automotive term "severe duty", it usually pertains to commercial vehicles such as police cars, taxis, emergency vehicles, and others that are left running without the odometer rolling. Just a bit of trivia I didn't know until I Googled. LOL
huh, interesting!!!! ive only heard that pertaining to upgraded cooling, or fan clutches 🤣 that kind of stuff! good to know, now i can keep that in mind whenever i come across a part for my 2g that says severe duty :D

Makes sense especially when buying a used vehicle. Long term idling isn't the best thing for a vehicle, especially with the A/C running.

And I'm sure my Wagner "Severe Duty" SX833B semi metallic front brake pads have NOTHING to do with idling. LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And I'm sure my Wagner "Severe Duty" SX833B semi metallic front brake pads have NOTHING to do with idling. LOL
lol! that too, adding that on to the list of misuses of severe duty 😂

Back