What do you think Ford needs to change? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you think Ford needs to change?

Briway,

I agree. Ford needs to do something, but I doubt that they will pursue off-road capability and manual transmissions. Ford seems to be focusing their development efforts and dollars on crossover cars that they can sell to the biggest market. Sadly, hardly anyone wants a manual tranny anymore. I seldom see them here in NJ, even in small economy cars that traditionally always had manuals.

Even so, the Xterra (with the automatic) is pretty popular here, so its a mystery why Ford would not even try to compete against it.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While they won't pursue manual transmissions I think there is still a place for them. If someone would actually advertise their advantages and educate people I think they would become more popular again. And I think there is still a market for more offroad orientated vehicles. The Xterra and FJ show that. But that is not what is going to save them. Building more efficient and higher quality cars is what's going to help them I think.

True, and I really love driving the stick in my Explorer (even though she's a bit finicky about going into 1st gear , and we have a lot of stop n' go traffic in NJ), but I'm in a tiny minority. The whole industry seems to be going the way of automatics and CVT's. Even the 2007 Mustang is only available with an automatic. How lame is that?

The Explorer still has some off-road capability, but the only other off-road offerings from Ford are the FX4 versions of the Ranger and F-150. They really need to have an FX4 SUV.

Yes, quality, reliability, and efficiency are what consumers want, especially given the high cost of fuel and repairs. The Japanese manufacturers consistently advertise more horsepower and better fuel economy. I don't understand how Ford fell so far behind in engine technology.

Speaking of advertising, Ford's TV connercials are pathetic, except for the girl who say, "You gotta put Mercury on your list." I'd but the Brooklyn Bridge from her!;)

Bob

Oops, typo, I meant I'd buy the Brooklyn Bridge from her. She should do an Explorer/Mountaineer commercia. I would be happy to write the script and co-star in it, for free.

I'm thinking of compiling a list of SUV's that still offer manual transmissions. Honda dropped that option from the CR-V. Manual is only available in the Element. Jeep Liberty and Xterra still have sticks available. The Ford Escape offers it only in the base XLS version. The bigger SUV's, Explorer, Pathfinder, Grand Cherokee, etc only offer automatics. I'm not sure about 4Runner.

Its the end of an era.

Bob

The biggest thing Ford could do is get away from the expensive labor they are using and thus lower prices. There are plenty of mid western states that would love to have the factories and people would be proud to go to work for decent wages. Toyota is building plants in the mid west quite a bit. Its simple economics, lower cost so that they can lower prices and still maintain profit.

And quit making the intieriors look like they do. Stick with the classic look like in 2004.

Ford needs to build a limited run of an EXPLORER Sport Rubicon to battle jeep. It'll be the 91-94 body style with d44 front and 9" rear axles, classic 5.0, Manual trans and manual t-case, with the interior from a 2nd gen but with buckets in the rear, with low range of like 75:1, stock with 33's, and rotor/calipers front and rear, manual hubs, and the gauge cluster of the 05-06 mustang. If they did that i'de buy every one of them from them. Actually, they should call the EXPLORER X-Type, cause X IS EXTREME!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^i was bein serious that'd be sweet.^^^ (minus the x-treme part) Or reintroduce the original bronco.

the explorer could do with a deisel engine ford has a good one in thier jags
2.7 ltr twin turbo it does not need the one from the F 250 but 7.3 would be nice

I'm thinking of compiling a list of SUV's that still offer manual transmissions. Honda dropped that option from the CR-V. Manual is only available in the Element. Jeep Liberty and Xterra still have sticks available. The Ford Escape offers it only in the base XLS version. The bigger SUV's, Explorer, Pathfinder, Grand Cherokee, etc only offer automatics. I'm not sure about 4Runner.
Bob

The 4Runner is automatic only. You can get a manual in a Toyota FJ but only with Auto 4wd like in the later 2nd gen explorers, no 2wd only setting.

Not a bad idea, if they could get a good hydrogen distribution system.

The vehicle can use existing technology. No expensive hybrid batteries. I bet the conversion wuld be as easy as converting to LPG or CNG. Add the tanks (lots of room under the Explorer, safe within the frame rails), change the FPR and maybe the EEC software load. Not exptic like fuel cells. Dual fuel would be the way to go, until the infrastructure is built up.

Bob

ford needs to focus on quality because gm is ahead of them by a long shot in that department. My buddy's gmc jimmy rides smoother and the interior is quiet and finished better than the explorer. In my explorer you can hear everything and the interior parts squeek on dirt roads and I replaced all of the suspension parts and it still doesn't ride the same. These are just some of the things that i notice and wish were better

UK owners support!

The return of supply to the UK of the Explorer, its support network and availablilty of parts.
Here we cannot get anything newer than 2nd generation, Ford uk have no clue about the Explorer and worse still.......... Any and all tsbs you have, simply so not apply here it seems. WHY? Do our cars and lives matter less, have Ford forgotten that they did sell here also?

Lets see....

Maybe they could actually put some effort into the Mustang. I work at a dealership, and what they say is a Mustang is a sad excuse and is truly runining the reputation Ford built. They are so quickly slapped together and the worst part is the outrageous price tag!! We have had many Saleens that were basically GT's with stickers over the GT! I wonder why they never sell! All of the pride that was a major part of the mustang glory days is far gone at this point. Any mustang that looks like it might be a decent buy is so expensive that it is insane. THE HOOD SCOOPS ON THE MUSTANGS ARE JUST STUCK ON WITH DOUBLE STICK TAPE AND SIT ON TOP OF THE HOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me? Honestly there are going to be major problems when the New Camaro comes out. I just hope someone trades one in at my dealership so I can get the chance to drive one haha, I have driven pretty much any model mustang made at this point and would love to comapre.

Why get rid of the explorer sport? What other company has a 2 door SUV? Why not bring out a new look sport (maybe call it something catchy like the Rampage or something) give it some agressive style and decent fuel mileage. Or, they could even make a sport with a V8 and make a truck similar to what they tried to do with the lightning but only an SUV version.

I think that offering something that no other company has would greatly help out Ford. Ford truly is on its way out at this point, and if they do not start to take some serious actions it isnt looking good for the company.

Back