What gear oil is used for the diff/axles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What gear oil is used for the diff/axles?

93explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast
Year, Model & Trim Level
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD
Greetings:

Could I use the synthetic Mobil 1 gear oil 75w-90 in both differentials? If so must I use the filler as a drain and fill? In other words, must I have to pump out the old gear oil from the diffs, and then refill via the same hole? Thanks!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

75w-90 is fine for both axles. If you tow with the truck though I would use 75w-140 in the rear. For the front axle you have to pump out the old oil and refill with the fill hole. There is no other way because the cover to the diff is basically one of the TTB arms. For the rear I recommend popping off the cover to drain it. That way you can inspect everything and make sure all of the old oil is out.

for the rear you just remove the diff cover to drain the fluid, try to get as much of the old fluid out as possible by using clean rags that wont leave lint. to fill it you use the fill plug on the front of the pumpkin, drivers side, its a pain to get to.

on the front.. to do it correctly.. you would seperate the front diff from the axle beam/cover by unbolting it. although i guess on the front it would be easier to just suck all the old fluid out from the fill plug on the front of the axle beam/cover.

you can use 75w90, although i think stock calls for 75-140. make sue what youre using has adequate friction modifier in it, if not get a tube of that also for both diffs. never hurts to put friction modifier in.

Thanks for all of your responses guys!!!:) Are these Dana axles? Thanks again!:cool:

The front axle is a Dana 35 the rear is a Ford 8.8.

you can use 75w90, although i think stock calls for 75-140. make sue what youre using has adequate friction modifier in it, if not get a tube of that also for both diffs. never hurts to put friction modifier in.
Spec is 80w-90 but you can use pretty much any gear oil. I run 75w-90 amsoil in mine. I typically leave FM out, an old limited slip isn't going to chatter and if anything it'll hook up a little better.

My Owners Guide (see signature) states the rear takes 2.6 liters which is about 2.75 quarts. Round it up and top off the front diff :)

It's been mentioned elsewhere but probably a good thing to repeat - be sure you can remove the fill plug from the rear differential before you take off the rear differential cover.

It's been mentioned elsewhere but probably a good thing to repeat - be sure you can remove the fill plug from the rear differential before you take off the rear differential cover.

Bingo. I all but stripped mine out (not the threads, the 3/8" square) trying to get it out of the rear diff. My goal was to suck as much out and then re-fill as a kind of 'cleaner'. Then, later on, remove the cover and drain it completely to refill with some Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 and a splash of Motorcraft friction modifier (even if it's not needed).

Back