• Register Today It's free!

What is 4X4 auto

DJ Money

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT I think
I just recently bough a 03 explorer it has three buttons 4x4 auto 4x4HI 4x4Lo i know what hi and lo is. but i have never seen 4x4 auto. could someone explain what is really going on. b/c there is no 2wd HI

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4 auto is just that.. automatic

you are running on the rear wheels only for most of the time, but when the computer senses the rear wheels slip, the front wheels are automatically engaged.

Its a PITA if you ask me...
Check out the brown wire mod thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194875

it will give you details on how to prevent Auto until you want it with a switch that you add.

I plan it for my 04 but just haven't found the time to do it.

These newer ones never really run in 100% 2WD. There's always a little bit of power sent to the front axle. When there's more demand for traction, the 4WD computer will give more power to the front wheels, then back off once there's less slippage on the rear wheels. It's not an instantaneous reduction in 4WD either...Once the system detects slipping severe enough to engage the transfer case fully just once, it goes into an "intelligent" mode, where it looks at throttle input and engages the transfer case if you go beyond a certain throttle percentage. It will gradually back off on this as it sees the rear wheels are able to provide sufficient traction, but until it does, you get some engagement of 4WD on dry pavement if you're on the gas hard enough.
I did discover a way to reset it though...At normal road speeds, let off the throttle, press 4x4 HI, then back to 4x4 Auto, and it will reset.
Mine drives me nuts when it does this...I have a gravel driveway at work, and a slight little spin in the gravel will get the 4x4 engaged, then it's in "intelligent" mode halfway home on dry pavement, and I can't give it more than about 1/3 throttle or the 4WD is engaging.

These newer ones never really run in 100% 2WD. There's always a little bit of power sent to the front axle. When there's more demand for traction, the 4WD computer will give more power to the front wheels, then back off once there's less slippage on the rear wheels. It's not an instantaneous reduction in 4WD either...Once the system detects slipping severe enough to engage the transfer case fully just once, it goes into an "intelligent" mode, where it looks at throttle input and engages the transfer case if you go beyond a certain throttle percentage. It will gradually back off on this as it sees the rear wheels are able to provide sufficient traction, but until it does, you get some engagement of 4WD on dry pavement if you're on the gas hard enough.
I did discover a way to reset it though...At normal road speeds, let off the throttle, press 4x4 HI, then back to 4x4 Auto, and it will reset.
Mine drives me nuts when it does this...I have a gravel driveway at work, and a slight little spin in the gravel will get the 4x4 engaged, then it's in "intelligent" mode halfway home on dry pavement, and I can't give it more than about 1/3 throttle or the 4WD is engaging.

You don't have to go into 4HI, just hit 4x4auto.

you know this for sure????

It sure feels like it does... But there is no harm in going to 4HI than back to 4Auto tho..

either way I will try it...never thought of this before,good idea

I tried just hitting 4x4 Autp, and it does nothing. Only a brief switch to 4x4 High, then back to Auto will reset it.

hi everybody why my 4X4 high keeps flashing it ????

Back