• Register Today It's free!

What is going on here anyway?

lavonnep

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
Hello all...I am hoping you can help me since I don't know what is wrong with my tempermental little bizatch and I don't even know what I would search for to find former threads...so here it goes...

This morning I got into my 99 explorer and she started up just fine...I drove about 17 miles to my destination and all was good. Then, I got back into her about an hour later and she started...then died....I started her up again...then she died. The RPM's were running extremtly low around the 500 range right before she sputtered and died.

I finally got her moving, much to her dismay, and when I got her back home she was fine again. RPM's back up to the 1000 point and she started, ran and stopped like nothing was ever wrong. She did this also about a month and a half ago and since there were no issues after that, I didn't worry about it too much. What on earth could this be???
:burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the "check engine light" (CEL) come on?

You might try getting the codes read, just in case there is one stored, even though the light isn't on.

Start with that and post your results back here.

Maybe the IAC starting to fail?

i would say classic symptoms of a bad/sticky IAC valve. The IAC is the Idle Air Control valve. It is connected to the throttle plate and allows the computer to adjust idle speed. if it is sticking and the engine cant control it, it may let your idle go too low and your engine will die. it is a relitivley easy fix. pick up a haynes manual and they will have it in there. good luck.

sean

I agree, probably the IAC valve. Try unplugging it and spraying the connector with WD-40, then re-plug. If it was a bad conncection, that will fix it. If not, FordPartsNetwork.com sells them as cheap as anyone; about $70.

Back