what is the exact rev limitation in rpms? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what is the exact rev limitation in rpms?

NICE59FORDF100

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
OBD-1 Kenobi
well, i need to know on a 92 4.0 OHV, what is the exact rpm that the computer limits it to? i mean, i think my rev limiter is kicking in at 2700, but i dont know if it is or if my tach just wont go past it. thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's something like 5500 or so(sorry for not being EXACT, but I don't have a digital tach)

if you need exact, I did a search on google but didn't come up with anything productive, sorry.

hth

NICE59FORDF100 said:
i mean, i think my rev limiter is kicking in at 2700, but i dont know if it is or if my tach just wont go past it. thanks guys

Its above 2700 i know that i have had mine maxed out and it was like 5500 way up there, 2700 is to low.

mine hit about 5200 according to my tach before making funny noises

Some cars have dual rev limits. In gear is around 5500 and in park or neutral it may only be around 2500-2700.

90ranajo: That's true - I had a mazda 626 that did that, but it was stick shift. I haven't run across any automatics that do that(I don't typically make a habit of trying, of course)

I don't have to worry about a rev limiter, because anything over 3K sounds and feels like parts are gonna fly out of my engine :D

spdy0001 said:
I don't have to worry about a rev limiter, because anything over 3K sounds and feels like parts are gonna fly out of my engine :D
True dat! I've had it up to about 4200. I din't put it any farther than that because that's what i heard somewhere on this board. I don't know if it's true though.

Also, in a slightly related topic, what is the actual speed limiter on a '92. I heard that it was 95, but i think i have put mine past that.

the rev limiter is way up there...higher than you want to go, and I don't think they have a speed limiter, but could be wrong.

TheFox88 said:
Also, in a slightly related topic, what is the actual speed limiter on a '92. I heard that it was 95, but i think i have put mine past that.

Speed limiter wasn't introduced till the 2nd gens. I think once an engineer rode in the explorer he knew there wasn't a need for one :D
95 is more like the power limit, because the truck isn't gonna take you much faster than that under its own power unless you have some extensive mods

NICE59FORDF100 said:
well, i need to know on a 92 4.0 OHV, what is the exact rpm that the computer limits it to? i mean, i think my rev limiter is kicking in at 2700, but i dont know if it is or if my tach just wont go past it. thanks guys

Depends on the PCM program your truck has. I can assure you that your rev limiter is higher than 2700 rpm though.

I could swear the California Emissions trucks have a lower rpm limit than the non-Cali trucks, but I can't verify that.

I think the officer said I was goin 102 on lazar (interstate, no traffic, very dumb move), but I don't think I could have pushed it to more than 110. It took me forever to get up to 100. All I know is they suspended my license. I did the math once because I was wondering about the top speed. With the Mazda 5-speed, in 5th geer on a 1:1 final overdrive ratio, if there is was limiter and there was enough power, going to 5500 rpm should put you in the ball park of 155 mph, theoretically speeking.

Back