what is this engine guard | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what is this engine guard

posmindset

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02, Explorer 4.6L 4x4
what is the name of this guard under the front of my 2002 ford explorer eddie bauer so that i can find replacement parts or the best way to fix?

see pic here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxlt9KkK_s5INnNHekY4ckFJYzg/edit?usp=sharing
it has 4 plastic threaded rivots that are supposed to hold it in place, 2 seem to be sheared off and one is stripped out.

is this guard absolutely necessary?

city and interstate driven, nothing off road

thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure it's the guard that protects the transmission oil cooler from road debri.

Thanks for the pix. I think mine is missing. Was that way when I bought the truck so didn't even know it was missing.

I know that without it, the trans cooler is exposed to road debris. I'd get one installed, even if it's just a 'wind' deflector according to Ford.

Do you guys know where the trans cooler is located? That's not a trans cooler under there, it's a p/s cooler.

That plastic shroud provides little to no protection to the bottom of your radiator, it's purpose is to hide the bottom of your radiator from view. It's not required for on road driving. Also it does nothing for off road protection of your radiator and is often the first item to be lost along the trail.

Even though it has a fancy name I can assure you it's just for aesthetics.

Do you guys know where the trans cooler is located? That's not a trans cooler under there, it's a p/s cooler.

You appear to be correct. I never chased the lines back. Looks like a remote trans cooler needs to be added then.

Back