What is this screw? (fm146 transmission) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this screw? (fm146 transmission)

Boodaggy

Reaction score
City, State
Findlay Ohi0
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer sport
I recently bought this transmission out of a 1989 bronco 2 and was going through making sure everything was sealed and in working order when I came across this screw (circled in red). I took it out to reseal it and to my suprise there was a spring underneath it.

What is this for?
11br96q.jpg

eqz4ux.jpg

any input is appreciated.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a guess, wondering it it's an adjustment for a shifting detent for the forks. There's probably a ball in front of the spring and the screw puts pressure on the spring to fit the ball in the slot.

Could try turning the screw and see if you notice it shifts any different. As in harder softer.

I will give that a try. Sounds about right as I noticed the notches in the shift fork rails (i would assume thats what they are called lol). Thanks for the input

My manual does show it's for the "poppet spring and steel ball" for the detents on one of the shift fork rails.

Says to tighten the screw just until the screw is exactly 6mm below the top of the bore.

Back