• Register Today It's free!

What kind of amp do I have???

victorye3

Reaction score
City, State
Tulare, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I baught my 93 Ford Explorer XLT probably about 4 months ago and I just recently upgraded my deck and put in a 40Wx4 JVC. When the guys were installing it they said they had to bypass the new deck to my amp because the new JVC has much more power. Anyways, I dont know what kind of watts my amp pulls or even if it is stock or not. What tipcally comes with the JBL Ford audio system and how do I remove the pannel if it would blow to replace it?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you dont have a stock subwoofer, the factory amp puts out 20watts X 4. if you do have the stock sub, the amps put out 15 watts X 4 and 80 X 1.

You should bypass it if you haven't already. I have the JBL system in my 95 and I can tell you the factory amp totally sucks. You will probably get a slightly more power and much cleaner signal from your JVC HU.

Thanks guys

Thats true the factor amp does sux. Ever since I took the stock head unit out I haven't heard much of difference in sound, being that my JVC is 40Wx4 makes it hit a little harder. Does anyone know how to remove the right rear panel where the amp is loctated?

Panel removal

For your 93, unscrew the rear scuff plate, carefully peel back the carpet to reveal the bottom screws on the rear panel, once those are unscrewed, the rest of what's holding it on are panel pins, just slowly pop them out.

Once all pins removed, panel pulls off easily. Factory amp is located above wheel well (and slightly in front of).

Moese...

Since you have a 93. Do you know what the JBL system consists of like: what size of speakers and watts the amp has?

Originally posted by leenjen
if you dont have a stock subwoofer, the factory amp puts out 20watts X 4. if you do have the stock sub, the amps put out 15 watts X 4 and 80 X 1.

this is the amp's power ratings.
th stock speakers are 6X8's in all four doors

Back