what muffler sounds good with the 4.0? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what muffler sounds good with the 4.0?

That dual idea of yours is perfect, I wanted to do a dual, the IRS of the Gen 3 gets in the way, the side exit ahead of the wheels solves the problem and cost of looping over. Did you tie both sides together at some point?
On which vehicle? ? Both have headers..the explorer uses the y-pipe to what was in the picture,single side exhaust . .

The ranger has true duals,no X or Y pipe

My 91 5 speed needs a new muffler, (rattling baffle inside) right now it has a stock type muffler with a turn down that dumps just before the rear axle. I want don't want it to be obnoxiously loud but I definetely want it to have a good strong sound and be audible at idle at least a bit. I feel just a glass pack may be to raspy, (I could be wrong) I listened to some clips on YouTube and half of them the flowmaster sounds great on these, on some of the clips they sound terrible, same with magnaflow, heard one that sounded great, another that in my opinion sounded bad and to high pitched. But which clips do you trust? Lol, I also considered a turbo muffler but I'm not sure it would be loud enough with the cats still on the truck. I do know the exhaust setup I have is going to magnify the sound a bit being it dumps under the truck before the axle. Any suggestions/clips people know to sound accurate (when played on good speakers at least)
I have a flowmaster super 44 series on my 94 5spd with
My 91 5 speed needs a new muffler, (rattling baffle inside) right now it has a stock type muffler with a turn down that dumps just before the rear axle. I want don't want it to be obnoxiously loud but I definetely want it to have a good strong sound and be audible at idle at least a bit. I feel just a glass pack may be to raspy, (I could be wrong) I listened to some clips on YouTube and half of them the flowmaster sounds great on these, on some of the clips they sound terrible, same with magnaflow, heard one that sounded great, another that in my opinion sounded bad and to high pitched. But which clips do you trust? Lol, I also considered a turbo muffler but I'm not sure it would be loud enough with the cats still on the truck. I do know the exhaust setup I have is going to magnify the sound a bit being it dumps under the truck before the axle. Any suggestions/clips people know to sound accurate (when played on good speakers at least)
I have the same type set-up as you have except I have a super 44 series flowmaster on it. Nice rumble at idle, sounds like a small v8. Higher rpms it gets a little breathy but still sounds good. Has a lot of cabin noise tho but that's the point right? To hear it? I would suggest turning it down behind the axle if you go that route. Had a 40 series on my 93 ranger dropped behind the axle and worked nice but hard to compare cabin noise between truck and suv.

Back