What "OEM style" key fob will work with a '15 PIU? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What "OEM style" key fob will work with a '15 PIU?

TTIntercept0r

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU 3.5L EcoBoost
For the people who have the OEM style fob (the skinny 5 button one), which one did you find that worked? I bought one that I thought would work off eBay, it didn't... (yes I made sure to enable/disable what ever things needed to be enabled/disabled in FORscan). And after further research, I saw that there as certain frequencies, FCC IDs, and model numbers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (note, my PIU came with a Viper EZSDEI474V fob)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you referring to the "keyless start" fob designed for push start ignition? I use the OE one that I pulled from an Explorer Sport that works well. Of course you still need a bladed key for the ignition. I have had good luck with the Chinese knock offs but I have heard mixed reviews. The nice thing about doing the fob only is if you get it and it won't program then you can just return it.

Are you referring to the "keyless start" fob designed for push start ignition? I use the OE one that I pulled from an Explorer Sport that works well. Of course you still need a bladed key for the ignition. I have had good luck with the Chinese knock offs but I have heard mixed reviews. The nice thing about doing the fob only is if you get it and it won't program then you can just return it.
Yes, that's the one. Ive got the bladed fleet keys, and a fleet fob, but I wanted to get remote start to work. Plus I like the look of the OE fob and its much easier to hold.

After doing some digging on the forum I discovered all the 12-15 PIUs use 315mhz. So I found another on ebay that is 315hz and Ill give that a shot when it arrives. The first one I tried was 902mhz or something, so that was my fault, kinda just bought it impulsively figuring it would work.

I actually recently (a month or two ago) bought a 5 button key fob for my 2015 FPIU. After enabling everything in the programming, worked without any issues. Here's the link:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRLGTV7/

As for remote start, all I've done is put a wire between the two pins of the hood switch but I should really go and buy an actual one off of amazon or some other site. After that, remote start worked just as well as everything else on the fob.

I’ve done all the steps form enabling keyless remote disabling dark car I can get the doors to unlock after cycling 8 times but when I press any button on fob I get nothing I’ve tried two different fobs off Amazon one of 315mhz slim fob design and nothing not sure what to do at this point

I’ve done all the steps form enabling keyless remote disabling dark car I can get the doors to unlock after cycling 8 times but when I press any button on fob I get nothing I’ve tried two different fobs off Amazon one of 315mhz slim fob design and nothing not sure what to do at this point
Also my piu came with an aftermarket fob that worked before I did anything in forscan and still works now after the enabling not sure if that has anything do with my issue

Also my piu came with an aftermarket fob that worked before I did anything in forscan and still works now after the enabling not sure if that has anything do with my issue
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
When you said the aftermarket fob worked before are you saying that it was able to remote start the vehicle?

Peter

It won’t start the vehicle but it will unlock and lock
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
When you said the aftermarket fob worked before are you saying that it was able to remote start the vehicle?

Pete

It won’t start the vehicle but it will unlock and lock
Do you have the required hood switch? Looks like a little rubber Christmas tree. ;)
1701286964355.png

Peter

Does a 2015 PIU use a different Key Fob than a Sport or XLT? He could just cross reference the FCC ID from one of our factory Fobs.

Yes sir I put one on oem. Will the remote start inhibit fobs from programming?
I can't say for sure but I doubt that remote start would affect the programming of the fobs.

Peter

I can't say for sure but I doubt that remote start would affect the programming of the fobs.

Peter
At this point not sure what to do at this point I ordered 2 5 button fobs and 2 slim fobs and won’t work not sure

Here is a link to a similar problem with a 2014 PIU, his turned out to be faulty Fobs, but there is also a link to the PIU service manual in the Thread.

For my 14 PIU I bought two of these 4 button keyfobs. I programmed them to the vehicle and had a local locksmith cut them for me. They work perfect. Remote start, unlock/lock, etc. I had to add the hood switch and turn remote start on with Forscan.

For my 14 PIU I bought two of these 4 button keyfobs. I programmed them to the vehicle and had a local locksmith cut them for me. They work perfect. Remote start, unlock/lock, etc. I had to add the hood switch and turn remote start on with Forscan.
Ive ordered those I will try em and see if anything happens thanks

Back