• Register Today It's free!

Key Fob issues 2014 PIU

DMVPIU

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford PIU
I recently purchased a 2014 PIU that came with one standard fleet key and no fob. I purchased two of these fobs off of Amazon (https://amzn.to/3qnSHVR), but can only get one to program. Ive gone through the off/on cycle and was able to program one of the fobs, but for some reason the 2nd one will not program. I know the fobs have to all be programed together, but for some reason that second fob is unresponsive. I even tried the cycle multiple times starting with the fob that wouldn't program and a old square fob (seen in the pictures attached) my dad had and regardless of the order that one Amazon fob is the only one that will program. To make sure I wasn't moving to slow for the program I put the one working fob last in the sequence and it's still the only one to program. Anyone have any ideas what the issue can be? I've tested the batteries in the two non working fobs and they are working they just won't program.

Screenshot_20220312-073725.png Screenshot_20220312-073647.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure the old style fob won't work (not one that old, I have the one generation older that came factory on my non-PIO '14 (with the remote in the head of the key) and that works), and since you changed the order of programming them, most likely the questionable FOB is DOA and you should ask the seller to send another or refund.

Pretty sure the old style fob won't work (not one that old, I have the one generation older that came factory on my non-PIO '14 (with the remote in the head of the key) and that works), and since you changed the order of programming them, most likely the questionable FOB is DOA and you should ask the seller to send another or refund.
Thanks. I'm thinking the one that did come is DOA, but someone on FB told me their '13 only allows them to program one Fob at a time. I ordered a replacement fob for the one we both believe is DOA.

The 2014 PIU Owner's Manual indicates you can program up to 4 (total), see page 67 :

How to Reprogram Your Remote Entry Transmitters

You must have all remote entry transmitters (maximum of four) available
before beginning this procedure. Note: Do not press the brake pedal at
any time during this procedure. If the brake pedal is pressed at any time
during this procedure, programming mode will be exited and the entire
procedure must be repeated.

Note: Ensure the brake pedal is not pressed during this sequence.

To reprogram the remote entry transmitters:

1. Make sure your vehicle is electronically unlocked.

2. Put the key in the ignition.

3. Cycle eight times rapidly (within 10 seconds) between the off and on
positions. Note: The eighth turn must end in the on position.

4. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming
mode has been activated.

5. Within 20 seconds press any button on the remote entry transmitter.
Note: If more than 20 seconds have passed you will need to start the
procedure over again.

6. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that this remote entry
transmitter has been programmed.

7. Repeat Step 5 to program each additional remote entry transmitter.

8. Turn the ignition to the off position after you have finished
programming all of the remote entry transmitters. Note: After
20 seconds, you will automatically exit the programming mode.

9. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming
mode has been exited.

I'm having the same issue with the remote key fobs not working. I tried this procedure (fortunately, the owners manual for the vehicle is present for duty) but it didn't work. Apparently, I'm fighting a 'buried shovel' scenario, since, due to the fact that the fobs aren't working I am unable to electronically unlock the doors which is the first step in this process.

I'm having the same issue with the remote key fobs not working. I tried this procedure (fortunately, the owners manual for the vehicle is present for duty) but it didn't work. Apparently, I'm fighting a 'buried shovel' scenario, since, due to the fact that the fobs aren't working I am unable to electronically unlock the doors which is the first step in this process.
I fixed the problem! The fobs that wouldn't program were defective. I sent the defective one's back. I programmed two of these https://amzn.to/3KWGvDD (the one that didn't work was defective) and one of these https://amzn.to/3K20XSh to my 2014 PIU.

Did you try it? It does not state that you must electronically unlock the doors with the fobs, just that they be unlocked. Seems like there might be some door button or something to do this? If that, and following the further directions on page 67 of the manual I linked, won't work, then possibly you have same situation that DMVPIU just posted about, defective fobs.

Back