What oil for my 4.0L | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What oil for my 4.0L

This was 20 - 30 years ago. Back then it was just oil with none of the additives that the major brands had. It was a simple mechanical pump so we surmised that it was a lack of lubrication that took out the pump.

After my Mobile 1 post, I decided to do a little research on it. It did not rank very high on the ball bearing test either. Thinking of switching to AMSOIL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ve used Mobile 1 at 25k intervals on a motor that had over 200k on it. Zero smoke, burned about a quart in the change time, quiet valves, and zero leaks.

I’m sold.

I’ve been using SuperTech oil in all my family’s cars for many years and many many miles without ever an issue or problem. It is manufactured by a high quality leading oil company. independent labs have proven it to be high quality. I am not a sucker to advertising and manufacture‘s claims but rather research the products I use for the highest quality at a reasonable price that have been independently tested and proven. I change oil between 5-7K miles and mostly use Fram filters. I’ve owned Ferraris, Porsches, turbo Land Rovers, Audi, VWs, Corvettes, Toyotas, Fords, GMs, you name it. A true DIY car guy.

You lost all credibility when you said the "F" word...
FRAM

Here is a great educational resource on why one should not use the "F" word...

I've used plain old Havoline conventional 5W-30 oil and Motorcraft filters in my 2002 4.0 since it was new.

It's currently at 327,000 miles. I did replace the timing cassettes at 254,000. It still doesn't lose enough oil in a 5000 mile interval to have to add any.

Hard to beat the price at Walmart for the quality of a Fram UltraGuard or ToughGuard filter.
Please read the info from the link in post # 23 about Fram filters. I’ll never use them again.

Hard to beat the price at Walmart for the quality of a Fram UltraGuard or ToughGuard filter.
Please read the info from the link in post # 23 about Fram filters. I’ll never use them again.
#1. The link is comparing Fram‘s cheapest filter, not the Fram higher quality filters. even so the PH line still isn’t a bad filter for frequent oil changes, 3-5K miles (as this comparison shows).
#2 . The link is the product of Ford Motorcraft !!!, of course they are trying to tell you theirs is the best ( but don’t be a sucker for just reading and believing advertising). The link doesn’t really tell you or state with any facts why theirs is better for the price, but it surely leads you to believe that. Look for independent tests and lab results, not from the product manufacturers and dealers.

Agree with car-guy. I use the Fran ultra full synthetic filter on my 2010 Mountaineer no issues. I cut the filter open and it has metal end caps and a wire back full synthetic filter.

Since we are talking about this, I'm wondering if my information is out dated.

It used to be the common practice (myth?) that you did not change oil brands willy-nilly. Is that still the valid?

It used to be the common practice (myth?) that you did not change oil brands willy-nilly. Is that still the valid?
Absolutely not

Naw, this has never been the case. Synthetic and Dino oil play just fine together.

Walmart's sell the proper FL820S Motorcraft filter for under $4 ...

Motorcraft filters are good, but it’s extremely doubtful they are the best.

#1. The link is comparing Fram‘s cheapest filter, not the Fram higher quality filters. even so the PH line still isn’t a bad filter for frequent oil changes, 3-5K miles (as this comparison shows).

Keep scrolling the PDF, they opened up more than one Fram.

See pages 8 AND 27.

#2 . The link is the product of Ford Motorcraft !!!, of course they are trying to tell you theirs is the best ( but don’t be a sucker for just reading and believing advertising). The link doesn’t really tell you or state with any facts why theirs is better for the price, but it surely leads you to believe that. Look for independent tests and lab results, not from the product manufacturers and dealers.

Photos of the insides are photos of the insides no matter who takes them. Falsifying them would open themselves up to a lawsuit.

They don't appear to be biased. Some of the brands are actually better than Motorcraft like WIX.

Keep scrolling the PDF, they opened up more than one Fram.

See pages 8 AND 27.

Photos of the insides are photos of the insides no matter who takes them. Falsifying them would open themselves up to a lawsuit.

They don't appear to be biased. Some of the brands are actually better than Motorcraft like WIX.
How are you judging which are better? Those numbers mean absolutely nothing unless they are in context with a certain size particulate. Of course they mean little anyway without a report summarizing the results of each filter being tested. Nobody said anything about falsifying photos. ? You can’t judge a filter from a photo. But proof from test data is another story. And there also is no cost comparison in the Motorcraft marketing. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Motorcraft filters and have used them when the price is right. I have owned many Ford vehicle and think they are a good product. I’m not leaving any motor oil and oil filter in my car past 5-7 K miles anyway so I don‘t need a filter designed for 20k miles As some in the comparison are. An interval that long is just neglect in my experience and no engine manufacturers would recommend it. I’d use almost any of the filters in the comparison, for my purposes, if they were tested to be suitable and offered at a better price than the Frams at Walmart.

Ever cut a motorcraft filter open I'll stick with motorcraft

Back