Flowmaster Series 40 or 50 for my 4.0L OHV? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster Series 40 or 50 for my 4.0L OHV?

ilikedellcomputers

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Jetta GLX VR6
What I really want is exactly what T-Bone has on his XLT V8 Explorer! Here is the website to see what I mean!

Dead Link Removed

He has a Custom Cat Back System with True Dual Exhaust / Flowmaster 50 Delta Series Muffler / Oval Ended Stainless Steel Tips, and that's EXACTLY what I want! Give or take a Flowmaster 40 or 50!

If anybody out there has a Delta Flowmaster 40 on there Explorer, preferably someone with a V6 OHV but it doesn't matter, please post me a message, as I would like to get a new catback system with a Flowmaster muffler put on as soon as possable!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come on, someone out there has to have a Flowmaster Delta 40 or 50 series! Anybody.....?

Thats exactly what I want to know. I was thinking of just taking out the muffler and running a straight pipe and if it doesn't sound like I want, then I will go and get a flowmaster. But I also want to get a dual set up, so I could always do a y-split right where the muffler would be, and have the tips coming straight out under that chrome piece in front of the bumper.

I have the 40 series on my explorer running into duals coming out the back. You can see my truck in the featured trucks section under Brian Green's 2wd Explorer. Hope this helps.

Hey trckmagik for the Flowmaster 40 series, do you have the delta flow series? How loud is it, is there a better rumble outside of the car from the 40 series that the 50 series doesn't do?!

Please get back to me, BTW, aweasome truck, **** man, 4 12` Kickers, that's gotta pound!!

I like the 40 better. I have the same muffler on all three of my fords and never hada problem w/ them. It sounds really good. Has a nice throaty sound that is hard to get out of these newer vehicles. The 12's do pound. I have a couple first place trophies for the system in USAC for the 500 to 1000 watt class. I was pushing right at 1000 during tournament times. Thank!

Originally posted by trckmagik
I like the 40 better. I have the same muffler on all three of my fords and never hada problem w/ them. It sounds really good. Has a nice throaty sound that is hard to get out of these newer vehicles. The 12's do pound. I have a couple first place trophies for the system in USAC for the 500 to 1000 watt class. I was pushing right at 1000 during tournament times. Thank!

How does it sound interior wise, is it noticeably louder than the stock muffler or the 50 series muffler? And do you have the Delta Flow series of mufflers made by FlowMaster?

Hey Trckmagik--Where do you live? My dad's cell phone has a bunch of long distance minutes, maybe I could call you up and you could start up your car and I could hear what it sounds like?? I know it sounds weird, but I want to hear how it sounds and to see if I want to do the same, or if I want something quieter. E-mail me w/ your number and when I can call you tomorrow. Thanks

I just put a 40 series on my 91. It sounds awsome!! I just got the regular 40 series single in dual out (not the delta series). It is real deep, and pretty loud. I really like the interior sound, and it is great when you have the window open. People can really hear me comming. I got the set up w/ two 3 1/2" chrome tips out the rear on the sides of where the hitck ball is. They couldn't bend it to the outskirts of the bumper because of my body lift, but it still looks beast. Sounds like a monster too!

Hope this helps
Chris

Are there any setup to allow on a 91 to have true duals?
Thanks....Pete

Interesting, I still want to be friends with my neighbours (4 women, one house, lots of fun) so I better stick with the Delta Flow 50 Series FlowMaster!

Now I am not a guy who knows a hell of a lot of stuff about engines and exhaust systems, but correct me if I am wrong. The FlowMaster Delta Flow 50 Series Muffler is just something that takes the place of the old muffler right? Would I need any other mods done to my 95` Explorer if I bought this FlowMaster!?

Don't get me wrong, I am going to get a whole new cat back system, just wondering if the OEM pipes will work for a little while!

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!

Delta 50

I've got the Flowmaster Delta 50 on my 95. Sounds good. I might try the 40 series someday as the Delta 50 is pretty quiet and I could always use a little less restriction!

I bought one with larger than stock inlets and outlets in anticipation of future exhaust work, but if you get one matching the stock pipe diameters you should be able to just swap it for the stock muffler. I eliminated the tailpipe and made a quick turn after the muffler out the side between the running board and the passenger rear tire. No problems with exhaust smells, and clearance is better than out the rear. Someday it will have duals running out through the bumper...
Rick

I have the regular 40 series, and you will hear it in the cab. If you have a loud enough stereo in there you wont have a problem with the interior noise. :)

To those w/ the regular 40

Ok, about how far away can you hear the exhaust from @ idle, and when you step on it? If it is too loud I may just go w/the Delta Flow 40, or maybe the regular 50. Also, anyone know which size pipes are stock?? I had a new exhaust put in around a year ago, and I am pretty sure he just put in the same sizepipes as stock, but I may call him up or go down there and ask him what size muffler I should order, and see if he can run a dual out the sides, cause I don't want to do the slashed tips coming out bu the hitch, just way too many people w/that setup and it looks to chevyish, I want something different.\, but thats cool and all if thats what you like (I am not trying to start an argument, just saying what I like). But, if someone could answer my questions I would love it. Oh, would I be better off just having all new [bigger] pipes run or just save some money and go with the old pipe in a new location and the new pipe going out the other side? Thanks

Stock pipeing is 2.25". I ran my 40 series with stock pipeing before it, and then 2" pipe out of it (they make the outlet smaller for a single in dual out). You can hear it a good distance away.. I duno, I don't want to give you the wrong impression... I mean it is loud but not as loud as running it with no muffler. But as trickmajik said, if you have a nice sterio system then you can't hear it. It is nice though. I got a 1.75mpg increase.

Ok, I am going to run no muffler and see how it sounds, then if I don't like it I am going to get the 40 delta flow. Now is the flowmaster very throaty and deep? I want these 2 things, these are very important, I hate the way mine sounds. I would like to be able to hear mine (w/ a 40 or no muffler) from a while away when I step on it though. I do have a nice stereo system though, but its acting up now, I think its cause my alternator. But that will be fixed shortly. If I get the wrong sizes, shouldn't a muffler shop be able to put some sort of adapter to fit a 2" w/ a 2.25 or something? Thanks

i have the 40 series and like it. I originally had it in the stock position with 2.25 piping. I went out to truckhaven and closed the pipe in the rear. So when i got home i shorten'd up the pipe some. It now goes cat, muffler, and about a foot of pipe to side exit. Its alot louder, but the noise in the cab is kinda annoying. Thats why i'm like Brian. I have 3 12 JL's in custom JL box in the back. I'm pushing about 1200 watts through my truck. My stereo equip. is more than my suspension. =( It sounds a lot louder than when the flowmaster had all the pipe. The only draw back is now i dont have enough backpressure. I have more low and upper rpm torque, but i seemed to have lost my midrange. I know look at my exhaust and try to think what i was thinking at the time. My pipe now comes right underneith my frame. Bad part is i'm going to more than likely sinch it closed there too.

Hey guys...i have the 50 Delta on my ride... and someone mentioned that it is restricting... does anyone have any numbers on this? Such as a 40 vs 50 vs 50 delta? Do ya think it even makes a diffrence? Hmmm... My problem is that Im pretty loud already... and for a flowmaster that 50 delta is pretty quiet. (okay... when I saw loud... I dont mean LOUD... but you know what I mean... sorta).

I would just go ahead and put the 40 series on your ride. I dont think straight pipes are a good idea if you want to pass inspections. Plus the 40 is not very restrictive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean I wouldn't pass the visual inspection on the emissions test? Cause I know that I could pass it if they didn't care on the visual. The only thing a muffler does is either quiet it down or make it loud, the muffler doesn't keep any bad emissions from escaping, thats what the cats are there for.

Back