What other states make it difficult to swap engines? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What other states make it difficult to swap engines?

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
I am curious if any other states are like Alaska. If I wanted to swap tthe engines in my Ex I can only drive it year round if the engine I put in was available on the Vehicle. Even if I wanted to go with an engine that is more environmentally friendly and better gas mileage. No exceptions and if I did the swap I could only register it for 6 months during the summer and then I would have to register before every summer. So I guess no 5.0 engine swap in my future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the state of Kansas would arrest you if you tried to put an environmentally friendly engine in an older vehicle...:D Since we don't have emissions laws it doesn't matter.

Wouldnt a 5.0 from an explorer technically be considered available for the vehicle since it is from another explorer. I'd try looking into the laws a bit more. you might find a way around it.

In Colorado anything is legal outside of Denver and surrpunding area's. If it is registered in the mountains there are virtually no laws.

In Denver where Emissions laws apply, you are allowed to convert to anything as long as it has the same equipment the truck came with (meaning in 88 it had a CAT, 02's, and a Check Engine Light). So I could drop a 454 in there as long as it has a cat and no CEL shows up. However in any case where the emissions readings might be higher then the stock engine you have to set up an inspection with a certified emissions inspector (meaning a 351 will blow more gasses then the original 2.9L so it wouldnt pass the sniffer = special inspection required to get it certified)

When I went from my speed density 2.9L to my MAS 4.0L the numbers were literally cut in half so as long as I have a cat and no CEL they dont even open the hood........

My Uncle has a 91 Pantera that there is no way in hell is gonna pass emissions, so he bought a house in the mountains and registered it up there........

Theyn are pretty dang strict up here. It must have been an available option on that year vehicle it doesn't matter if they offered it on the same vehicle in another year. I could do the swap but could not drive it into Anchorage where they have emissions laws.

Heck if you are registered outside, meaning live, of where the emission testing is required you can still be required to get emissions sticker. I have heard of several people getting tickets that live in the valley, no emissions required, but work in Anchorage, emissions required. They seem to feel that if you drive everyday into an emissions controlled area then you must go through test center.

AlaskanJack

I know what your saying. When I got up here in 1999, I had a old Jeep truck that I couldn't get I/M certified. Screw only being able to drive a truck from May to Sep!

According to the Referee Station..."If it didn't come as a factory option, then you can't do it and get it I/M certified." However you could go with the seasonal waiver and put whatever you wanted to. However, you can only drive it in the summer!

Good luck man!

:banghead:

Yep and here's another one that sucks. My buddy took his suburban a diesel which doesn't have to go through I/M to get the sticker. He dropped in a 454 and since the vehicle is registered as a diesel he will never have to run it through I/M. Now that sucks and he can drive it year round.

NAK4AF - just checking someone said that if you have the summer registration you're not supposed to drive it in Anchorage. They said cops will ticket you, there's some way with sticker you get for your license plate that they can tell. Ever heard of this, it sounds like BS to me. If that was the case why say anything, just register it outside of emissions area and drive it and take chances with cops.

Once again, according to the Referee Station, you only have to have I/M if you live in Anchorage. You can only drive it during the allowed months. Cant drive it at all during the winter months. If you are caught, its like $1500 or something. You can get a day pass for a small amount but you can only drive it where you state! ie. Getting your tranny fixed, to and from repair shop!

What sucks, Alaska has the cleanest air! What started to be a two year program to make the air clean, created comfortable jobs and revenue for the city. Hence, the program stayed!

Give the Referee Station a call. They are off of Potter street in Anchorage.

BTW! Palmer doesn't have I/M, unless you have to commute to Anchorage daily, then your screwed!

You hit the nail on the head! I commute to Anchorage daily. I am hoping that within the next year when we move our millwork and truss plant to where our panelization plant is in Birchwood I will be relocated there.

I spoke to a guy that works for Nye in Wasilla and he said that they are required to I/M vehicles if the person lives in Valley but works in Anchorage. This sounds like what I was told by another person.

How does the referee view a vehicle that is registered in Palmer but work location is Anchorage? It must be I/M'd?

Oh and I should add that in Oregon where I am from we had some of the worst air from smudge pots used to keep frost off pear trees. But after I/M was in place for 15 yrs the air was so far below required levels, they didn't remove the requirement for I/M. Once the govt gets your money they will never give it back. It produces revenues in excess of needs and thus the overage goes into other areas where they begin to depend on it.

This is my major reason against the state of Alaska dipping into the permanent fund dividend. They will start small and soon they will gobble it up. I will be getting my first PFD this next year and I will be PO'd if its the only one I get. There is a website somewhere that tracks how much money is in the account that the PFD is drawn on. There was like 40 some billion dollars in it I think.

Here,you have to put a same year or newer engine in any swap you do, for emissions reasons.... :(

Back