• Register Today It's free!

What plugs and wires to use

murdered05X

Reaction score
City, State
greenville ,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 xlt
Having miss-fire and was going to change my spark plugs and coils. What is the best choice for an explorer with 80K and its a 4.6?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your best bet for plugs, is going to be sticking with Motorcraft Plugs. and if you want to improve your ignition, then maybe buy some larger wires ?

yeah stick with Motorcraft platinums

I was talking with James Henson last week about the ignition system and he recommended stock #401-Champion Copper Plugs. As far as buying new wires, you really can't, you have to buy new boots that go on the COP's. Have you ever changed the plugs on a 4.6 before?

I've changed my plugs less than 5,000 miles ago, but I am going to be giving the copper plugs a try soon because mine hasn't been the same since I last changed them.

cop boots, they are held in with a 7mm you have no wires. also coils get water in them shorting them out. factory plugs should be good for up to 100k

and if its a 3 valve best to leave the plugs in.

As far as a wastespark ignition system goes (coil pack) I suggest using double platinums. The way that ignition system works is two plugs are fired at once, one on the compression stroke, the other on exhaust stroke. One spark jumpes the conventional way (electrode to ground) and the other ground strap to electrode. The problem with using copper or single platinum plugs lies in the fact that tip erosion occurs due to wear. Well each time a plug fires a little bit of material follows the spark. Would you want standard ground strap material basically covering the platinum? I know several Ford Senior Master Techs who said they've solved a lot of driveability concerns by installing double platinum autolites. Standard distributor ignition- single platinum or copper plugs. COP ignition- it's really your choice, I'd go with platinums just for longevity.

ok? so copper or platinum? also why am i hearing that i shouldnt change my plugs til 100k? i figured i might as well do it since im changing some coils

ok? so copper or platinum? also why am i hearing that i shouldnt change my plugs til 100k? i figured i might as well do it since im changing some coils

factory plugs are for 100k.

Copper Plugs are 30k; Anything else is 100k Just curious but why are you changing your coils? That's an expensive route to take right off the bat.....

That's my understanding as mshuler009 has said. Copper plugs do not last as long, but being copper, their conductivity of electricity is better than other plugs. Iridium and and Platinum have higher melting points, allowing them to last longer(100k) I always change my plugs every 2 years anyway, so I'm going to be giving Coppers a try and see what happens.

For what it's worth, I have run Platinums and changed them out after about 30k and the little electrode tip was worn at an angle on most of them. So they would have been history before 100k.

i am changing them bc im getting missfire in the number 5 and 8 cylinders

Actually they all conduct electricity the same; inside every plug is a resistor. The resistors vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but they are there to equalize the resistance of the plug itself....that's why ignition oscilloscopes are so reliable; they count on the varying resistance in the secondary circuit to be the condition of the parts...not the design.

do you have codes for cyl. 5 and 8 or did you come to that diagnosis another way? Sorry to be nosey

With the 4.6 and individual coils for each plug you only need single tip platinum plugs. These coil do fail and since they have to be removed to do the plugs get two new motorcraft coils and put them on #5 and #8 cylinders. I have worked on many a 4.6 with misfires and it usually ended up with the coils being bad.

well the code came to number 8 and i got a new motorcraft coil and a new motorcraft platinum plug because the plug was wet. she runs fine now!

Back