What Rear Differential (PICS)......... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Rear Differential (PICS).........

jlsparky7

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Woodhaven, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0 XLT AWD
Heres a pic of the tags on the rear diff. Just wondering what gears and differential I have.

Also judging from the back differential is there any chance I have a LSD in the front? Or is it open?

DSCF0453.jpg

DSCF0454.jpg

DSCF0455.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.73 ratio - Ford 8.8 axle.

Anyone have any ideas on what the rest of the numbers on there mean?

L73 = Limited slip 3.73 gears

8 8 = 8.8 rear end

S619A - Explorer 96-97
3L73 - 3.73 Limited Slip
8 8 - 8.8" Ring Gear
6A - Build Date
23 - Plant Code

Do all AWDs come with the limited slip?

2nd tag reads 75W140 SYNTH OIL ONLY. I have a 95 with 3.73 LSD also and read diff info on weights/oils etc. All I had to do was climb underneath and read the tags.... Putting on a new diff cover soon and bought 75W90, will be purchasing 75W140 if that is what the tagger reads. Neat info, thanks for posting pics. Wonder why Ford recommends LSD modifier if they use synthetic. I dont believe Royal Purple or Amsoil recommend the need for the modifier when using their products. Happy Easter.

2nd tag reads 75W140 SYNTH OIL ONLY. I have a 95 with 3.73 LSD also and read diff info on weights/oils etc. All I had to do was climb underneath and read the tags.... Putting on a new diff cover soon and bought 75W90, will be purchasing 75W140 if that is what the tagger reads. Neat info, thanks for posting pics. Wonder why Ford recommends LSD modifier if they use synthetic. I dont believe Royal Purple or Amsoil recommend the need for the modifier when using their products. Happy Easter.

No biggy for the pics man, just trying to help out.

Amsoil sells the friction modifier so I know they require it with a LSD.

Im just using 75w90 in the diff, thats what amsoils website recommends.

you can use cooking oil if you want but the diff wouldnt last too long. If you live where it drops below freezing I would use the synthetic thinner gear oil. Synthetic because it tends to let the diffs last longer.

Some synthetics dont have a modifier, Redline etc

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=39&subCategoryID=15&categoryID=6

Yea, I live in Michigan and we got 4 inches of snow a couple days ago and it got down to 28f last night. We have freezing days out of nowhere pretty much year round. That's part of the reason why I stayed with the 75w90 in the rear and ill be putting it in the front as well. Plus I feel thinner oil lubricates better due to the fact that it doesn't take as long to circulate and its easier on the oil pump (when in the engine). Better for cold starts too.

on the other hand for short trips in cold or hot weather thinner is better for circulation, but if you do a lot of higher speed driving/towing for extending periods I would use a thicker oil since it wont thin down as much at the higher temps, unless you live in the artic or something. All this is really not relevant as long as you do regular lubricant changes with whatever oil you use. I just use Redline for everything except for engine oil, I use Mobil 1 for that :D

on the other hand for short trips in cold or hot weather thinner is better for circulation, but if you do a lot of higher speed driving/towing for extending periods I would use a thicker oil since it wont thin down as much at the higher temps, unless you live in the artic or something. All this is really not relevant as long as you do regular lubricant changes with whatever oil you use. I just use Redline for everything except for engine oil, I use Mobil 1 for that :D

Yup fresh quality oil is the key!

Back