What remote starter should I get? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What remote starter should I get?

the factory one is pretty easy to install. aftermarket is a little more work but is a lot cheaper cost. i install them all day long.

I understand. My driveway is only about 20 feet from my house so hopefully the OE will be good enough.

I don't think you want me bugging you about the DEI unit for each and every wire. ;)

So just buy the 7l2z 19g364 aa kit you mentioned and I am good to go to start plugging and splicing the handful of wires that were left?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup. the range will be fine for what you want. they also make a 2 way kit i believe the part is 9g1z-19g364-a. it has a remote that confirms the car has started. if you want.

splicing- horn, park lites, brake, door lock, dome light and ground it. program the runtime and a few options if needed. thats it

pm me your email and ill send the correct diagram

yup. the range will be fine for what you want. they also make a 2 way kit i believe the part is 9g1z-19g364-a. it has a remote that confirms the car has started. if you want.

splicing- horn, park lites, brake, door lock, dome light and ground it. program the runtime and a few options if needed. thats it

Does the 2-way kit have a better range than the 1-way? The cost is <$100 different, so maybe I'd get that one. Also, it appears to have the 2006 listed, I guess they got smart since it starts with a 9 to not just say 2009-2010.

Question about the splicing. If I didn't care about it beeping the horn or shutting off when the brake is pressed, could I just ground the unit and use it as is? I don't know what function the locks serve either as far as starting the vehicle goes.

Also, my auto climate will continue to work as long as I leave it on when I get out of the X last, right? Edge people are complaining about that.

you do not need the horn, door locks, dome light or park lives. they are convience items.

the park lites let you know car is running.
door lock- locks doors when remote starting.
brake- mandatory
dome light- car won't remote start when doors are open.

the auto climate will work in the last state it was left in. i usually crank it to 80 defrost and high. the auto setting lets the car warm up a little before the air turns on. if manually set it, it will turn on right away.

i would hook park lites and brake up and ground it. done

you do not need the horn, door locks, dome light or park lives. they are convience items.

the park lites let you know car is running.
door lock- locks doors when remote starting.
brake- mandatory
dome light- car won't remote start when doors are open.

the auto climate will work in the last state it was left in. i usually crank it to 80 defrost and high. the auto setting lets the car warm up a little before the air turns on. if manually set it, it will turn on right away.

i would hook park lites and brake up and ground it. done

Agreed, parking lights, brake switch and ground. See, this is getting simpler and simpler. :thumbsup:

I always leave the X locked when I leave it so I don't need that step, but may hook it up later. I suspect it will be pretty cold here by the time I convince the wife and get one shipped to me.

Is the install the same for the 2-way as it is the 1-way?

the install is same for 1 way and 2 way.

try to get at a local dealer. here in NY most dealers usually keep them in stock now.

I'm right near Worcester, so 80 miles or so from the NY line.

The dealer's gonna charge a heck of a lot more than online though I bet. I found the 2-way kit on the net for $262.

ok- i make a couple of boston trips a year. talk to your dealer. tell them the online price. they may work on price with you. may cost a few dollars extra in the long run, but you support a local business.

Got some great info from this post, thanks cmk0808. So this 7l2z 19g364 aa kit will work with on 07 eddie bauer, v6? Everything needed to install would be supplied with the kit? And... can you send me the diagrams? Also, what do you think about the 7L3Z-19G364-AA kit, and how much more involved is it than the one button kit? Sorry I keep adding on to this, but I just found autoalarmpro and they design, i guess, basically the same system... have you dealt with them?

Credit to cmk0808 to push me on this and provide some support/reassurance via e-mail. I decided to buy one for my 2011 Fusion instead of my 2006 Explorer and installed it last weekend. It was simple to install and I would definitely recommend the DIYer to do it if you are familiar with using a multi-meter.

I haven't fully decided if I want to pick one up for the Explorer yet as I don't drive it much due to gas prices, but we'll see.

Back