what should i do with my superchip? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what should i do with my superchip?

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
ok, ill give a quick run down of my situation...

-in march i installed my superchip and it worked perfectly.

-in june, my truck started to not start on sporadic occassions, and would stall out sometimes while i was driving. i took it to ford and they said it was part of the cam tensioner recall - they said my lower intake manifold gasket was shot and they replaced it for free.

-my truck runs great for 6 weeks or so, then it starts stalling out again; this time it does it more often that the last time. i take my truck to my mechanic, not a ford dealership. he says the stalling problem is related to my superchip - we take out the chip and my truck hasnt done it since.

-now i have the superchip sitting in my garage. maybe the chip was defective; maybe it fine and theres something with my truck; or maybe something else - who knows? all i know is that my truck ran fine with the chip for 3 months then it started stalling; i took out the chip and now it runs perfect again.

if the chip is defective, i really dont want to sell it and have someone else have the same problems as me. but im only 22 and im still in college - i need my truck to be reliable so id rather not screw around with trying to get a chip that works, id rather leave it stock and have my truck run perfect all the time.

suggestions?...PLEASE :)

*note: i havent contacted smartyparts.com yet, which is where i bought it, nor have i contacted superchips.com - i want some of your guys input first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would send the chip back for a refund. If you take it out and your truck runs fine it has to be the chip. I dont know if it is just me but I dont like any of these chips. Screws around with the computer too much.

yeh i know alot of people on here love the superchips but everyone ive met in person who has had one said it messed up their computer. if your gonna screw with the computer do it right and take it do a dyno shop and let them screw with it. its twice as much money but its worth it.

I had a hypertech...and it fried my transmission. Adjusting the shift points on an already POS built tranny isn't a good thing.

haha sorry for laughing but i found it funny. yeh performance mods that mess with the tranny are bad on explorers with high mileage

Back