What size are the Tension Clamps on hoses? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size are the Tension Clamps on hoses?

beach

Reaction score
City, State
south florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
Coyote F150
I noticed since mine are so old and had to damn near warp them when taking off hoses, that might as well replace them. But can't find them anywhere, stopped at a couple parts stores and none carry these, only worm drives which I would never use on radiator/heater hoses. But they all seem to be off on sizes pry b/c of warping when trying to pull off and losing tension.

Would need 4 of the larger ones for the radiator hoses and think 10 for the smaller heater hoses. Need to know what sizes to get so I can order online.
20150509_151212_zpszrkrtgyh.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would need 4 of the larger ones for the radiator hoses and think 10 for the smaller heater hoses. Need to know what sizes to get so I can order online.

If they are not broken or bent they are probably fine to re-use. If you have a broken clamp try a junk yard (or dealer?) for a replacement. I wouldn't use anything other that these types of clamp.

Use a small channel lock tongue-and-groove pliers to compress them. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...W9OVZr3Ls7hsASGmoBo&tbm=isch&ved=0CB8QMygAMAA

So it looks like 37/64" for the 5/8 hoses. What about the upper and lower radiator hoses? Not at the house and don't recall the size, looked up my parts order for them but doesn't say the size either.

I figured new would be better, I can tell these are all off on tension and junkyard would pry be same issue. I had 90 degree pliers, but the hoses were so warped and bloated from all these years was nutz getting some of these clamps off. I don't want to put everything on with the old clamps and end up having leaks and have to drain and redo again lol, I had to cut the heater hoses as they were damn near impossible to get off at their angle behind the block.

Personally I don't like those plier-type hose clamps, so I use CT clamps. Yes they're worm-drive but constant-torque governed by Belleville washers or spring.

For the radiator hoses I'm using size 28s (33-57mm) and they fit perfectly -- could be wrong but I think it's Breeze CTS-28. For the heater hoses, I'm using Breeze CT-9424 which are a bit large but still work since they're within the effective diameter range (27-51mm).

Personally I don't like those plier-type hose clamps, so I use CT clamps. Yes they're worm-drive but constant-torque governed by Belleville washers or spring.

For the radiator hoses I'm using size 28s (33-57mm) and they fit perfectly -- could be wrong but I think it's Breeze CTS-28. For the heater hoses, I'm using Breeze CT-9424 which are a bit large but still work since they're within the effective diameter range (27-51mm).
I actually thought about those, as came across then today online when searching. Seems they fix the issue with regular worm drive clamps where varying tension from expansion and contraction can cause them to fail. Thanks, may do that. Would be easier as some angles are just such a beotch to get off vs having a screw one.

There's a special tool available for compressing the
constant tension clamps. Easier to use than the
slip-joint pliers. I think they're called....wait for
it....Constant Tension Clamp Pliers.

Yeah saw that in the other post lol, don't plan on doing this again for a long time so no need for it, only this truck was ridiculously hard finding parts and working on lol, all our other cars are newer and pry grab a new truck later this year so it would be way down the road if anything had to be done. But they all look easy, all hoses and clamps are in comfortable angles, Gen II Viper was easiest hood opened fully and everything within reach, a 5th grader could work on that car lol

Think I'll stick with regular tension clamps, the worm drives with the springs are pricey. Even on Amazon their like 60 bucks just for a small set for heater hoses. Not a lot of money just seems odd paying that much for some clamps lol.

Back