• Register Today It's free!

What size is my hitch ?

96BLK-XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have a 96 XLT and was wondering if anyone knows what the size of the factory hitch is ? I wanted to buy a hitch cover and receiver lock and the one I am looking at fits most 2" and 1 1/4" hitch receivers. And should the receiver lock be 5/8" or 1/2" ? Thanks in advance

Easiest way to tell is to grab a tape measure and measure the inside of the square tube. All class III and IV hitches are 2" and class III is probably what was installed on your explorer, so I would say 2". The newer, 2002+ explorers came with a 1 1/4" receiver from the factory, though a 2" can be installed.

Dan

If the inside of your reciever measures 2" then you need a 5/8" hitch pin. 1/2" is for the 1 1/4" recievers. Remember, if you need to lock something you may need 2 locks if you buy certain hitches such as some adjustable hitches or one with a clevis hook on it. They sell reciever locks in pairs with matching keys which makes thing easier.

If it is a factory installed hitch, it is a 2" (the only size the factory put on the pre-2002 models).

hunterdan said:
Easiest way to tell is to grab a tape measure and measure the inside of the square tube. All class III and IV hitches are 2" and class III is probably what was installed on your explorer, so I would say 2". The newer, 2002+ explorers came with a 1 1/4" receiver from the factory, though a 2" can be installed.

Dan

On the '02+, the 2" is standard with the tow package, 1 1/4" without.

Back