What size rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size rims?

Hey everyone. I will be lifting my explorer very shortly, and I am in need of some new rims. I am planning on just getting some black rockcrawlers, but im not sure on what size to get. I am planning on either 32's or 33's for my new tires. I will be getting a 15" rim, but what width do you think I should get, and with what backspacing? What are you all running? Alot of the rims that I see have 3.75" backspacing. I want the tire to stick out from the body at least an inch or two. Should I go with 15x8 or 15x10? what do you think. And is 3.75" backspacing good?

Thanks,
Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go with a 15x8

i have heard with that size you have less chance of rubbing, with the 15x10 its wider and will most liekly rub.....

PEACE

yeah, 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing is pretty standard. For the 32's or 33's I would go with this. For the 33's you could do 15x10's but I wouldn't. Personally I'd rather have the tires be a little taller than wider.

I agree with 15x8 and 3.75 backspacing. How much lift are you going with?

redrig
How much lift are you going with?

I am going with 5.5" of lift. I am getting a bunch of stuff from another member on here, which includes axle drop down brackets, extended radius arms, 5.5" coil springs, and extended brake lines. And for the back I am putting in some procomp double add a leafs, and shackles. I am guessing that i will get about 4" out of the back. Will it look all that uneven from front to back with the 1.5" of difference? I will eventually do a SOA.
Thanks,
Andy

Does anyone know where I can get the SuperLift SOA spring perches that clamp on? I dont want to have to weld them on. This truck will not be used as a trail rig very often, so it doesnt have to be super strong and welded. I have been looking, but have not found anywhere that sells the clamp on ones by themeselves. For all it matters, I don't really care what brand the perches are. Just as long as I can clamp them on.

Thanks,
Andy

Originally posted by dreamr
weld it!
Second that!

Even for daily driving, weld on some perches.

Bypass the double aals and shackles, and go straight to SOA.

Does any one know if i can run 32 x 10.5 tires and 15 x 10.5 wheels on a 4" lift with little or no rubbing?

with 4" of lift and 15X10.5 rims you will most definatelly rub on the back side of the front fender evenin small turns...

mine did with even 6" of lift... wider rim... that's why.

I would go with 15X8 rim and 3.75 backspacing and 33X12.5 tires... and they might still rub.

Thanks for the info. but i got one more question for u guys does anyone know where i can find a tire and wheel package with 33 x12.5 or 32 x 10.5 on 15 x 8 wheels?

Hey dreamr where do u wheel at? Im in everett and interested in goin wheelin with some new people and new places.

Back