What size tire you guys recommend for the green bee? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size tire you guys recommend for the green bee?

I keep reading here that the 302's all had 3.73 gears, and that the late 90's 4WD V6 trucks all have 4.10's. I doubt they all do, but the 4WD should be an option which would need the bigger 4.10 gears.

$300 I think is decent price for a good mileage rear, $200 should be a steal, these trucks are now fairly all high mileage.

The 1st gen Explorers have okay brakes, but with lots of miles those aren't as good as the 2nd gen's, the rear discs help in that. I had my 93 that I put hard miles on, constant stopping. Eventually the rear linings wore through the brake backing plate. I discovered it because the front brakes were needing work more often, pads were not lasting as long as they should have. When I discovered the slots worn onto the rear backing plates, welding those up and smoothing it out, that helped the brakes a lot. Both ends are needed, drum brakes just don't do quite as much as discs do.

Keep top brand pads or linings in it, that and fresh fuild will help a lot.
I looked at over 75 V8’s before picking mine, they all had the D4 axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked at over 75 V8’s before picking mine, they all had the D4 axle.
Thanks, that is good actual data. I think it was Jaime that I saw the most posting that the 302's all had 3.73's and the 4.10 went into almost all 4WD V6's.

I know Ford learned in the early 90's that a 3.27 was a poor gear choice for any 4WD Explorers, my 93(3.73's) got better fuel economy than my 91(3.27's) 4WD. They might have learned in the late 90's that the 4.10 was the best gear for any 4WD, but I don't know that. The rear I bought to replace the bent axles of my 99, was a 3.55 geared 1997 Sport. I had planned to keep the brakes, but we scrapped it in a big purge years ago to make space.

I still have 03-2011 Crown Vic rear brakes though, to swap onto my 99 or my 92 Lincoln, we'll see which needs it more. The CV brakes(rear) are not direct swap parts, but the 12" vented rotors would be a good match, like the front 01-05 Sport Trac rotors(& spindles). The CV brakes have a different parking brake mechanism, Ford changed to a type that has the cables coming in at a full 90* angle(plus a bracket welded to the rear).

I’m heading to the pick and pull tomorrow. They have several Second Gen SOHCs. Most here will have 4wd. I take a look at some door stickers. They’ve got a complete Mountaineer I’m going to grab some stuff from.

I’m heading to the pick and pull tomorrow. They have several Second Gen SOHCs. Most here will have 4wd. I take a look at some door stickers. They’ve got a complete Mountaineer I’m going to grab some stuff from.

Oh, quick question on the Mountaineer; Have you noticed the condition of any of those roof racks? I still need to go find one to buy the whole set of rack parts, for my 98 Limited project truck. I haven't been in years, so I wonder how rough they are these days. I will need those and the door scuff plates, the plastic piece that has "MERCURY" on them. I tried to buy those from Ford years ago, but they obsoleted those ages back. Those are two of three things I think are main items for my project. The rear hatch trim from another 98 is a big piece, those were a one year part, 99-01 those have printed letters on them.

You are just reminding me that I need to go, lots of other parts are wanted for many vehicles of mine and a close friend.

I haven’t been in a few months, but a few of them had excellent bodies and looked garage kept. A lot of the SOHC trucks I see simply need a new motor, or a transmission rebuild, and are complete and I wrecked. They have a couple Mounties. I’ll check the roof racks out on them.

31's on 15X8, 3.75 BS will work. But with 3.27's it will be a dog. I had this setup. Cruise could not hold speed going up hills.

Back