What size Wheels?

Jornum1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4 SOHC
Ok guys, I was wonderign who has aftermarket rims out there. What size? I personally am looking into the Mustang Cobra R's. I have seen them on a few explorers and are great. The are 17x9's The extra width is a great touch. Makes the truck look alot more aggressive. Does anyone have any experience with 18's? I think they would look nice, but I heart they may hinder handling, and you shouldnt go over 17's? IS there any truth to this? I am not oging for ground clearence, or a low rider. I just like a wheel that fills in the Wheel well. I think that looks great. Well let me know what you guys think.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N filter, Air box mod
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered, Eldebrock shocks

The difference in handling between 17 and 18 inch rims is the tires. Rim size doesn't define performance, its all about how well your tires perform. Lower profile tires do help with cornering. I think that 17's look fine on explorer (I have 17" AR Silver Pythons). 17's are good because you can still get a tire that has a profile so you can fill up your wheel well. If you go with an 18" you have to purchase tires that are only 2 or 3 inches thick. Hope this helps.

ok I get what your saying, that makes sense. what tires are you running on your 17's? I like the way my dads look. He has a Benz ML 430, and he has 17x9's with a 55 aspect ratio. I like them. I dont know if would want to go much smaller then that. What do you guys think?

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches, Eldebrock shocks

I have 18x8.5 wheels with 255/45-18's. I like this combo. They are maybe 1-2" smaller(diam) than stock. With the truck lowered(2"), they fit nice. I'll try to get some pics. By the way, you can get 18" tires that aren't real low profile. Pirelli makes a 255/55-18 that is a pretty big sidewall.

Back