What the heck? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What the heck?

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 sport
well, my dad and grandpa were working on my explorer and after they put it back together they found that they had a few "extra" parts...it's running better now, but i'm guessing that by looking at the photo below you'll see that something is obviously missing.(like where those red things are...)

P1010003.jpg

anyway, i'm sure that's probably something that i should get fixed one of these days.

Another problem that I'm having is with the air conditioning. The back-seat a/c is working but the ones in the front aren't. and since i live in florida it's getting kind of bad with how hot it's starting to get. they were working fine before my dad fixed that other thing. i would get him to do it but he works during the day so i figured i might as well try and see what i can do.

that wasn't very descriptive, but i just wondered if anyone knew the general area that i might want to check cause i really know nothing about cars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For your AC issue, check the connector on the blower motor resistors. Passenger side, under the hood, about an elbow's-length down the firewall, you'll see the blower motor and the plug going into it. (IIRC, it's easier to get to with the cruise control servo out of the way) I was having similar issues, and found out that the plug was corroded away to nothing. New resistor pack was $15, and a new pig-tail was $13, and I sealed it all up with some silicone on the outside of the connector where the wires go in, and some dielectric grease on the terminals. All is well again!

-Joe

The red things are vacumn caps and they have replaced something that your dad has disconnected! ALL connections going to your upper intake like that are for vacumn.

It would appear that they have "removed" the egr vacuum regulator. The red "things" are blocking what "left" (vacuum points).

ok, thanks. i'll try and work on it a bit today.

I was looking at your picture again and I was wrong.... its not the egr vacuum reg. Its there (round square thing). However, on my 96, the one of the two points in your picture "feeds" the regulator in some form while the other is used by the PCV value.

Back