What Tire Size???

PHYSC-O-TRAC

Reaction score
City, State
Sudbury, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ST 4l Limited
Hi Folks,
I have (maybe strange) a question on tire sizing that i can't seem to figure out!

First of all, my ST came with 235/65R18, I was wondering what tire size would I need to achieve the same circumference/tire height if I went with a 16'' rim?
I want a smaller rim with the look of more rubber. I'm looking at getting ion alloy wheels style 171 polished and BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's. Not planning on a lift other than the truxx 2" leveling kit later on. I'm kinda looking for a baja look on the truck.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 255/70-16 size that came on Gen 1 Tracs would be in the ballpark.

Thanks swshawaii and JohnnyO. Is there any issues with the disc/calipers? Not sure what my disc/caliper assembly is.

Doubful, although with aftermarket wheels it can depend. 16" wheels were standard on Gen 2 Tracs and Gen 3 Explorers. My Trac has optional 17" wheels but my sister has a regular Explorer, same year, and it has 16" wheels and 235/70-16 tires.

Thanks.
Would i be able to use my tire sensors with these rims and tires or would i be looking at buying new sensors?

It depends. You would need to ask the wheel manufacturer. Some will, some won't. I know Tire Rack has sensors you can add on to aftermarket wheels and they cost about $300 a set.

I'm looking at getting ion alloy wheels style 171 polished
Be careful ordering, I don't see 16" available in your 5 x 4.5 (114.3) bolt pattern.

Our local Canadian Tire carries the 16" with the same bolt pattern as mine 5 x 114.3. Was just wondering about the rim rubbing on the brake caliper, and it seems to be OK...might just have to add a spacer. When the time comes, I'm going to ask for a test fit to make sure.
We also have a custom shop here that specialize in lifts, tires and rims at the same time. Might just go with them and get it all done at the same time, and the have pretty reasonable financing.

Back